CAPE 10

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Re: CAPE 10

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed May 23, 2012 11:37 pm

macrae11 wrote:Just listening to Team Witty Placard right now. The vocals are mixed.....very appropriately.
What's going on with your drums? Sounds like a super bright short plate with a timed predelay or something. Sounds cool, I just can't quite place it.

Not 100% sure, but it's like 20% too much. It's a cool effect though.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:16 am

Mathieu Benoit wrote:
macrae11 wrote: I'll be real interested if Otek remixes it.

if he does it will be insane. The tracks all sound much better than the mix would lead you to believe. I think the mixer did a good job all things considered but with 96+ tracks I think it needs a steadier hand.

The more I listen to your mix, the more I think this project was a really good thing for you. I love the mix and I'm not the only one over there that is impressed with your work on that.

Yeah I heard some of the tracks so I know it could be mixed better. I wasn't really very impressed with the mix. I had fun mixing our project although there's a ton of stuff I would have liked to have done differently. Would you believe I actually got asked to turn the drums down? I mean I built the whole thing around drums, organ and voice, so there's no way they weren't going to be loud and proud. I do wish I would have mixed it a bit hotter though. Not that it's not a good level, but I was shooting for -10dB RMS on the loudest bits in the last chorus, whereas I think some other teams were having their low parts hover around -10 and then the big parts being significantly louder. Maybe they didn't have properly calibrated meters, but either way my mix is a good 3-4 dB quieter than some of the others. I thought about sending a bumped up version to Goes but I figure he's got enough to deal with. I'm not taking accolades very seriously as there are several mixes getting praise that I think are.... let's say underwhelming.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby macrae11 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:17 am

Mathieu Benoit wrote:Not 100% sure, but it's like 20% too much. It's a cool effect though.

Agreed
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 24, 2012 10:47 am

macrae11 wrote:Yeah I heard some of the tracks so I know it could be mixed better. I wasn't really very impressed with the mix.

You should see the emails I'm getting with new mixes of that track from other people. Personally I've let it go. It was a team effort and he did his best... If it does get remixed taht's cool with me. But it would be like someone re-doing my drums, it takes away from the spirit of cape. The idea is that you are played the hand you are dealt and you do your best with it. Our mix engineer is not a metal guy at all. His pop mixes are really nice, but he's not that versatile yet to come in on an epic metal tune and just dominate it. I'm not a metal player either, but my OCD brain wasn't going to let that get in my way and I presented the best tracks I could. To the point of putting nearly 20 hours of real time into the making of it. It worked though, I raised a lot of eyebrows when my raw tracks turned up. I didn't get frustrated when I was getting criticism during my first two submissions, I just used that data along with my own experience to keep making it better until no one had anything to say about the tracks. Our mixer was insecure and would respond to criticism that way, so I think the unspoken consensus was to just leave it alone. The songwriter wouldn't drop it though and continued to push. I suspect the producer asked me to ease up though since we then stopped telling the mixer what he should do publicly. Alain called it though even from the rough mixes, the mixer was the weak link. He had the opportunity to really learn something here but he was too combative. Whatever suggestions we'd make were respond to witha degree of hostility.

macrae11 wrote:I had fun mixing our project although there's a ton of stuff I would have liked to have done differently. Would you believe I actually got asked to turn the drums down? I mean I built the whole thing around drums, organ and voice, so there's no way they weren't going to be loud and proud.

I do believe it. The drums are bordering on loud in the intro and first verse, but then settles in nice. To be honest though, it's really subjective. This mix is really awesome regardless because you are taking things further than you normally would. You didn't play this safe at all.

macrae11 wrote:I do wish I would have mixed it a bit hotter though. Not that it's not a good level, but I was shooting for -10dB RMS on the loudest bits in the last chorus, whereas I think some other teams were having their low parts hover around -10 and then the big parts being significantly louder. Maybe they didn't have properly calibrated meters, but either way my mix is a good 3-4 dB quieter than some of the others. I thought about sending a bumped up version to Goes but I figure he's got enough to deal with.

Both my teams had it "mastered" so that may be common around there, which explains what you are experiencing.

macrae11 wrote:I'm not taking accolades very seriously as there are several mixes getting praise that I think are.... let's say underwhelming.

Well, pay attention to WHO says WHAT about each mix. It's easier to sort things out that way. There are a lot of good mixes this time around, bad mixes are less common but they are there.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop