Good Memories

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Good Memories

Postby macrae11 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:18 am

So I had a great time this morning at work. Just upgraded my main rig from 6GB of DDR3 1066Mhz RAM to 20GB. Runs like buttah. Smoothest install I've ever done for computer stuff too. I haven't worked on this new mac much since I got it and I didn't realize how they had the RAM setup. The entire RAM array along with two massive heat sinks sits on a big daughter board that slides completely out of the computer on rails. No scrounging around with a flashlight or trying to squeeze my too large hands into tiny spaces. Pop the new sticks in and slide back into place. Start up the computer and there's a nice little message that pops up that tells me I've installed the RAM correctly and it's configured in the ideal way. I looked all that up before but its nice to have confirmation.

So then to put it to the test. The biggest reason I needed the upgrade is because PT10 is a RAM pig since it can now load the entire session into RAM. Not a big deal when running on its own, but it seriously cramps the style of any other programs running. So just to do a stress test I loaded up a medium size session, 40 tracks or so including FX, which took about 4GB of RAM. Then I started transcoding and burning a DVD. Then I loaded up a heavy After Effects animation project which is another RAM pig. I had it render an uncompressed 1280x720P animation with 30-40 layers and play it straight out of RAM. Took a few minutes to render, but then played beautifully out of RAM with no glitches. Everybody was happy and I still had 1GB unused.

Bliss.

Oh and I've got a couple of leftover GB that I have no other use for, so I'll send them your way Matt.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Re: Good Memories

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 24, 2012 11:49 am

macrae11 wrote:So I had a great time this morning at work. Just upgraded my main rig from 6GB of DDR3 1066Mhz RAM to 20GB. Runs like buttah. Smoothest install I've ever done for computer stuff too. I haven't worked on this new mac much since I got it and I didn't realize how they had the RAM setup. The entire RAM array along with two massive heat sinks sits on a big daughter board that slides completely out of the computer on rails. No scrounging around with a flashlight or trying to squeeze my too large hands into tiny spaces. Pop the new sticks in and slide back into place. Start up the computer and there's a nice little message that pops up that tells me I've installed the RAM correctly and it's configured in the ideal way. I looked all that up before but its nice to have confirmation.

The new Mac Pro is brilliantly designed. Doing any kind of work inside of it is really fun. Everything is modular and so easy to access and work with that a 3 year old could do it.

macrae11 wrote:So then to put it to the test. The biggest reason I needed the upgrade is because PT10 is a RAM pig since it can now load the entire session into RAM. Not a big deal when running on its own, but it seriously cramps the style of any other programs running. So just to do a stress test I loaded up a medium size session, 40 tracks or so including FX, which took about 4GB of RAM. Then I started transcoding and burning a DVD. Then I loaded up a heavy After Effects animation project which is another RAM pig. I had it render an uncompressed 1280x720P animation with 30-40 layers and play it straight out of RAM. Took a few minutes to render, but then played beautifully out of RAM with no glitches. Everybody was happy and I still had 1GB unused.

Nice. We're gonna stick with PT9HD for a while now since we have other things that have more important for the time being but it's nice to get a glimpse into the future.

macrae11 wrote:Oh and I've got a couple of leftover GB that I have no other use for, so I'll send them your way Matt.

Really? that would be sweet! We've still only got 6GB for now. How much RAM?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:53 am

I've got 2 1GB sticks left over.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 24, 2012 12:11 pm

macrae11 wrote:I've got 2 1GB sticks left over.

Sold. :)
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to The Coffee Shop