Shame on you, David L. Burge.

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Shame on you, David L. Burge.

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:57 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_pitch
For the record, I don't have perfect pitch.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Re: Shame on you, David L. Burge.

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:17 am

I have a fairly strong ability to correctly identify pitch of a given note/melody/key in my memory. Not, name the notes out of mid air kinda thing, but be able to pick out the key of a recording/song I know, and then verify it afterwards. If I worked at it hard enough, or played a pitched instrument on a more regular basis, I'm convinced I could cultivate that into something more closely resembling "absolute pitch".

I also like to point out that one can "hear" frequencies of audio in a similar fashion to "perfect pitch" in music. I've always believed it is something you can learn as a skill, assuming you have the aptitude/makeup for that kind of thing. I have read of their being genetic/physical predispositions to pitch and the ability to distinguish.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:50 am

I tried and failed to develope perfect pitch. I have lots of make-up, so I must be lacking in the appropriate aptitude.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby dylanger » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:39 am

I was lucky enough to have a young guitar student named nick that had perfect pitch. It was really cool. He started naming chords I was playing without looking at my hand, I started to pick up on what he doing so I turned around and I would play a single note and he would tell me the note and naturally felt like he had to sing the note he was naming. His mother was taking lessons at the same time but I think she got discouraged because she practiced so much and didn't do as well as her 8 year old son who never practiced. I told her that I've only met one person so far with perfect pitch, he was a couple years younger than me and was diagnosed with aspergers, thats when she told me that Nick also had Aspergers. It was really hard for me to tell because nick just seemed like a talkative 8 year boy. His math skills were also incredible, when his mom said they were going to saint john he would know how many Km's it was from his house to saint john. My dad is a math nut so one time when Nick and his mother were leaving I asked him in front of my dad what the conversion was from a Km to a mile and he gave the correct answer down to 3 or 4 decimal points.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Graeme McCausland has perfect pitch.

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:26 pm

I'm skeptical of anyone who makes the claim to "perfect pitch" without being able to test the subject myself. I have however come across many people that have very good relative pitch. Which is something that can certainly be trained.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to The Coffee Shop