What's the deal with DVDs???

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

What's the deal with DVDs???

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:24 am

This one's been coming for a while now.

I've found myself addicted to DVD box sets of old TV shows, and by the looks of the shops, I'm not the only one.

The frustrating thing about this little addiction is the number of discs that I have had flail right out of the box. I have purchased many hundreds of CDs since about 1991, granted late starting since I was one of the last to even get a player. The total of CDs that I have had to return wouldn't touch what I have come across in just a few years of buying DVDs. Why is this the case?

I have had discs with minor damage, scratch, skip. I have had DVDs that appear to have been printed incorrectly at the factory. Don't even get me started about the lame cases that have either been so stupid, you couldn't remove the disc without busting it, or so loose, the DVD came loose in transit and scratched it to bits.

The latest one is the "Friends" complete series box set I got for my wife for Christmas... She's a big fan. About $250, for all the box, and books, and DVDs, and several of the discs appear to be FUBAR... The thing that's nutty about these is that with something as huge as this thing, it could take months to find a problem with it, and what about return periods from the places you buy the things. 30-60-90 days???

Is this just my bad luck, or do others have the same experiences with these things? I can't imagine rentals???

>>>
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: What's the deal with DVDs???

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:12 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
The frustrating thing about this little addiction is the number of discs that I have had flail right out of the box.

...... About $250, for all the box, and books, and DVDs, and several of the discs appear to be FUBAR...

Ya when I went to china I came back smuggling a couple hundred DVD's in my golf bag roughly 10% did not work, but the 20 piece James Bond box set was only $20, and they all worked.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:16 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:This one's been coming for a while now.

I have had discs with minor damage, scratch, skip. I have had DVDs that appear to have been printed incorrectly at the factory. Don't even get me started about the lame cases that have either been so stupid, you couldn't remove the disc without busting it, or so loose, the DVD came loose in transit and scratched it to bits.

How many times have I quietly slipped into a blind rage trying to open a dvd case only to find the damn disc scratched all to dogshit cause the little nipple broke all to fuck and the thing thrashed around in there for days. :-x
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:28 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:This one's been coming for a while now.

I have purchased many hundreds of CDs since about 1991, granted late starting since I was one of the last to even get a player. The total of CDs that I have had to return wouldn't touch what I have come across in just a few years of buying DVDs. Why is this the case?

I have only ever had to return two CDs ever. One was due to a little dimple on the edge of the disc (manufacturing). The other was Psycho Circus which Bruce Fairburn produced, absolute piece of dog poo and I had to return it, they took it back cause they agreed with me. :-D
Last edited by Alain Benoit on Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby oddioguy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:22 pm

U1176 wrote:I have only ever had to return two CDs ever. One was due to a little dimple on the edge of the disc (manufacturing). The other was Psycho Circus which Bruce Fairburn produced, absolute piece og dog poo and I had to return it, they took it back cause they agreed with me. :-D

"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:11 pm

U1176 wrote:How many times have I quietly slipped into a blind rage trying to open a dvd case only to find the damn disc scratched all to dogshit cause the little nipple broke all to fuck and the thing thrashed around in there for days. :-x
[butthead]Uhhhhhh,.... He said nipple...[/butthead]

U1176 wrote:I have only ever had to return two CDs ever. One was due to a little dimple on the edge of the disc (manufacturing). The other was Psycho Circus which Bruce Fairburn produced, absolute piece of dog poo and I had to return it, they took it back cause they agreed with me. :-D
I have never returned something because of content or lack of. Many times I might have, but I like to have examples of everything, including crap of every kind, in my collection.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:53 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I have never returned something because of content or lack of. Many times I might have, but I like to have examples of everything, including crap of every kind, in my collection.

Dude did you ever hear this particular turd?
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby fish » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:14 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Is this just my bad luck, or do others have the same experiences with these things? I can't imagine rentals???

>>>

I bought my wife a season of CSI, and the machine that glues the plastic trays that holds the dvds, had sprayed glue all over the top of all 6 DVDs.

Nice...
fish
Bronze Member

Location: somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:05 am

Digging up old threads again...

Yeah, I still have problems with dvd sets, where one or two discs start breaking up halfway through the episodes; it's happened with Smallville (for me), Heroes (for my parents), etc. I even returned Heroes to HMV and had the same thing happen again. Sometimes when you get a set, it's like you have to fastforward through each and every disc to make sure it's all ok.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:40 pm

I can't really help, but I felt like commenting.

I never got into the "dvd-thing." I guess I did purchase a few vhs back in the day, but then it seemed like before I had time to get started, the industry switched to dvds and I kinda figured, "what's the point? they'll just switch to something else after that, too."

I'm a cynic. I'm sure Disney released all their movies on beta, then once people bought 'em, they decided to make more money by releasing all their movies on vhs, and then once they all sold, they released all their movies on dvd, now they'll release all their movies on blu-ray, et cetera. And Disney aren't the only ones. Jimmy Page likes to do that shit too with the Led Zep back catalogue. Re-mastered this, hi-definition that, bla bla bla.

But I think the problem likely lies with what Alain wrote back in Jan. '07: this stuff is likely mass produced in China (or somewhere in Asia) where there is little concern for product quality. I'm sure the factory that makes them is so huge, each individual dvd likely costs tiny amounts so who cares if a couple hundred need to be returned.

I tried looking around on the Internet, but couldn't find any direct answer to this question --- however, I didn't really search for that long.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby Greg H. » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:33 pm

For a second there I didn't realize that this was a resurrected thread and I thought Oddioguy had returned!
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:30 pm

My thing is the difference in quality control between CD and DVD from my experience. With DVD, I've had too many things go back because they were unplayable compared to a virtually perfect record with CDs.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:52 pm

movies = suck
music = awesome

it's a matter of superior artform, obviously!!!
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Return to The Coffee Shop