looking for work in live sound

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

looking for work in live sound

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:33 pm

As a means of remaining a happy creative human being, I am wondering if there are any leads out there for me to be able to get involved with doing live sound. I am not interested in going to a school for 18 months to learn the tricks of the trade, and I would rather work with someone who is knowledgeable so that I can gain the confidence to maybe someday work on my own.

In my humble opinion, I have a basic understanding of sound and mixing. I've even managed to do sound for a few high school musicals and variety shows as well as the occasional live concert that I have been involved with. I've always been able to manage to get by but I am sure there are plenty of details and gaps in my knowledge that I would love to be able to fill in. I also feel that I have very good ears and I know what sounds good. I have the attitude that one shouldn't mess with things if they sound nice so that sometimes less is more.

I am an amazing learner. And like a sponge I will absorb any information that can get passed on to me. I'm also humble enough to know when I don't know something and brave enough to learn from my mistakes. How else can one improve?

Also, I am in this for the long haul. I love the idea of being able to remain in the music business for as long as I am blessed with life. I am patient but I no longer want to put off taking the first plunge so I am reaching out to the visitors of this forum to see if there is anyone out there who would like an apprentice, or just simply needs someone to help them out. I have to admit, though, that I am a musician so sometimes I will be unavailable due to touring commitments but those are planned out months in advance and I usually know what my upcoming schedule looks like. But until the band gets the "big break" and the money starts rolling in (ha ha), I would like to find other creative forms of work. Live sound feels like something I would be excellent at if someone could help me out.

I live in Norton, NB and I have a vehicle so I can travel, but I figured something around the Saint John area would be the best starting point. I am a night-owl so working evenings and nights doesn't bother me. Any leads, advice, or job offers whatsoever will be greatly appreciated.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Re: looking for work in live sound

Postby Jef » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:55 am

You are more than welcome to come and sit in on some shows with me at the Phoenix. We have a 32/8 analog board, everything gets mic'd. 4 monitor mixes from the FOH consol, pretty much a good learning environment for a basic uncomplicated setup. PM me if you're interested.

...Jef...
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Re: looking for work in live sound

Postby Alain Benoit » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Jef wrote:You are more than welcome to come and sit in on some shows with me at the Phoenix. We have a 32/8 analog board, everything gets mic'd. 4 monitor mixes from the FOH consol, pretty much a good learning environment for a basic uncomplicated setup. PM me if you're interested.

...Jef...

That is so damn sweet.

Malcolm, can I say damn? Oh shit I just did, can I say shit?

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Return to The Coffee Shop