You only get one set of ears...

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

You only get one set of ears...

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:27 pm

Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:07 pm

great post Malcolm

I almost always wear plugs but i've been putting off getting some proper molded ones, and inear monitors. Very soon though.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby oddioguy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:32 pm

What??!!
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:57 pm

I've worn hearing protection since shortly after high school, and I'd give anything to get back the unnecessary exposure I got before that.

When I finally got proper musician's plugs, I was so blown away that I wish I had those 15 years earlier.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Not only for playing, one of the best things about musician plugs is being able to enjoy shows without worrying about exposure.

Even without health insurance, a bargain at a couple of hundred dollars.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Beaver » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:24 am

You got a link to some good choices? I lost my molded plugs and a set of plugs/monitors would be sweet.
Beaver

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:13 am

See an audiologist.... I can recommend Audiocorp in Saint John, who can fit you up for ear plugs and filters from Etymotic, who are the industry standard for musicians plugs. http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx

http://www.yellowpages.ca/business/NB/S ... stype%3Dca
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby sammyp » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:02 pm

yeah the molded plugs rock! Unfortunatley, this January i was at a loud rock show, in a church of all places, and ran out to the car for my plugs half way thru the show - too late, tinitus the next moring at 5k, it's been with me for 6 months now. Went to the after testing my hearing with sound forge tone synthesis, i realized that my 4-6 k was down 6-9 db. The audiologist confirmed this, actually the sound forge test was more accurate. They call it a "noise notch". Protect your hearing always!
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby macrae11 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:11 pm

Wow that sucks! 6-9 db is serious bidness. Last time I got a checkup I was down 1-2 db at 4k. That pissed me off for about a week. I don't think it affects me though. If anything my mixes are actually duller than they should be.
I am due for another checkup this summer, so hopefully it hasn't gotten any worse.

Are you sure you got it all from that night? I don't know much about audiology but i'm thinking it would be difficult to lose that much in one night. Was that your first checkup?

Just a note to everyone as well: My audiologist told me that 4k is usually the first to go. Apparantly 4k is located at the bottom of the cochlea where it gets the most fluid moving around. Hence the cilia get worn down there first, and you lose those frequencies.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby roachie » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:23 am

I have a pair of plugs that I got from audiocorps by landsdown place. (pardon my spelling). They are fantastic, and the brilliant thing is, you can talk to people around you during loud music and hear them better than if you didn't have the plugs in. It cuts out the "screaming in your ear pain" that will save the ear drums. Get'er'done.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby sammyp » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:06 pm

macrae11 wrote:Wow that sucks! 6-9 db is serious bidness. Last time I got a checkup I was down 1-2 db at 4k. That pissed me off for about a week. I don't think it affects me though. If anything my mixes are actually duller than they should be.
I am due for another checkup this summer, so hopefully it hasn't gotten any worse.

Are you sure you got it all from that night? I don't know much about audiology but i'm thinking it would be difficult to lose that much in one night. Was that your first checkup?

Just a note to everyone as well: My audiologist told me that 4k is usually the first to go. Apparantly 4k is located at the bottom of the cochlea where it gets the most fluid moving around. Hence the cilia get worn down there first, and you lose those frequencies.

No, i certainly didn't get it just from the Kids in the Way show, no way, i've been a driver at work for 8 years and listening to music in the vehicle way too loud for too long plus bands.

I definaetly need to boost quite a bit when i'm comparing 4-6k compared to 3 or 8 k......unfortunatley it is at least 6 db down i would say.

I've done alot of experimental mixing and listening sinse then, i've experimented with a 6 db boost (4.5-6.5k) with a very tight Q on my master buss of sonar and PT. I'm not missing too much while mixing normally, when i start doing guerilla mastering on the main output the EQ suppliment has to come off because things get weird.

it's not like there's nothing between 4 and 6 it's more like a "V" shape notch.....5.5 is the bottom, the weakest spot

I guess all i know is that the mixes that always sounded good to me still hit me the same way, and for the most part everything sounds as it always did.

Yeah, the audiologist told me the same stuff about 4k being the first part to be damaged - bummmer.
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby Roderick » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:11 pm

ive been considering getting my hearing tested for about six month's...
im pleased to lest you know that im getting tested tomarow, and the next step after that is getting some costom molded attenuators.
Roderick

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:37 pm

Roderick wrote:ive been considering getting my hearing tested for about six month's...
im pleased to lest you know that im getting tested tomarow, and the next step after that is getting some costom molded attenuators.
Most excellent. Pass on the word to friends how easy it is!
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to The Coffee Shop