School of Rock, Wrestling, and Babysitting...

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

School of Rock, Wrestling, and Babysitting...

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:10 am

One of the things that I'm curious about is, how long are folks going to let their names be associated with this organization, to the tune of their names being listed on the Atlantica website, while they don't appear to be actually involved in the operation or instruction whatsoever?

I've also noticed that it takes hours from the time someone starts to work down there, to when their bio and photo appears on the website, but I know folks who are definitely not involved at this time, and have asked to have their info. removed... but it remains... there to lure in clients.

Anyone see Creighton Doane at the school since the opening a year ago?
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: School of Rock, Wrestling, and Babysitting...

Postby Redeye Mojo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:15 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:...I know folks who are definitely not involved at this time, and have asked to have their info. removed... but it remains... there to lure in clients.

Aye...

The title of this thread got me to thinking back about the media splash during the launch... If I recall correctly it went something like "...the biggest announcement in NB arts and culture history..."... Words to that effect...
The title of this thread is such an extreme contrast...
Sad really... On so many levels...
I feel situations such as these not only undermine arts and culture at large, but also have a potential lasting impact further down the trough when it comes to funding disbursement for arts and culture...
Don't get me started... If it were not for the great respect I have for many friends either involved now, or in the past, I would be compelled to write a thesis on this scenario. I like to think that most folks who were involved from day one really believed in the "arts and culture" mantra...
The mantra I keep hearing over and over again is "sell the sizzle, not the steak"... To be honest, it makes me angry.
Deep down, I really hope I am wrong about my feelings here...
Anyone wanna hold their breath?
I mean, how did this all even get to the media splash stage? I mean, really?
Blood pressure rising... I'll shut up now... Sorry for the rant...
Redeye Mojo

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:01 am

Redeye, it's nice to see you posting lately. You are well "spoken" so to speak. Yet always very tactful.

I myself lately have been involved in too many unfortunate and frustrating situations to be quite as tacful. Maybe I'll be better in January... once this flaming monkey is off my back.

But for now I'd like to say, officially that I've stayed away from day one. A good friend of mine is involved in the management of this project, and she could never convince me (as hard as she tried) to even come within pissing distance of this place.

I guess it's less to say about them and more of a reflection on me. But I'm sick of being associated with good things run poorly, and looking like a jackass in the process. Everything from Revolver (stunning band, when they wanted to be), to my current Flaming Bird fiasco (I swear to Christ this is the most frustrating thing ever in my existance). I'm kinda pleased to know that I've stopped involving myself in things that give me that bad feeling in the bottom of my stomach. Once January hits, I will consult friends that I respect before jumping into anything else. I'll post all of my enquiries here perhaps as I respect the opinions of so many of you.

With Atlantica, or whatever it's called. I never needed to outsource advice, I just trusted my gut. Still my name was briefly on the site, so was a friend of mine who was at the time teaching for Musicstop's conservatory. You can imagine the explaining that he had to do.

I also know people that are listed as intructors and such, without having any idea they're even involved, like I was at the beginning. It just seems that Atlantica lacks the thought process that prevents them from doing something offensive to most. That's an unfortunate habit in any business.

They may have tightened they're policies on arbitrarily naming employees from random names in the phonebook, but at the beginning that was really pissing a lot of people off.

On a positive note though... They pay their bills quicker than anyone I hear... :-)

that's always good...
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:59 am

Mathieu wrote:...
But for now I'd like to say, officially that I've stayed away from day one...
You and me both my friend.

As I've said before... I think it's an opportunity that is being squandered, and I don't want to be associated with that, thank you very much.

I was contacted in the early stages to be an instructor, this after I already knew of some folks being named without consent, and I, errrrrrr..... forgot to get back to JK.... :oops:
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:39 pm

I'm just sick of people doing things without thinking them through, and then involving innocent people unaware of how much of a clusterfuck the whole thing is. I could be talking about either the School of Cock & Spin or the Flaming Bird here... as my comments apply to both, for various reasons.

People get roped into these schemes for various reasons, and it can affect them negatively in varying degrees of severity.

My vote? Start from scratch, and try to get it right this time. Both of you.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:53 pm

Mathieu wrote:People get roped into these schemes for various reasons, and it can affect them negatively in varying degrees of severity.
The problem with things even remotely related to arts and music is, you're dealing with things that people are attached to on an emotional level if they're seriously involved, and that can be taken advantage of.

I am not immune, and neither are most of us.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:05 pm

That's just it, when they are emotionally involved, it's difficult to apply logic. Personally I usually regret spending large sums of money without my logic coming to play at some point.

The real truth will come from the "alumni" when they are finished their respective programs. Did they "feel" like they got their money's worth or what? If everyone feels like they got a good bang for their buck...and that they go on to be productive members of their respective fields, I'll shut my word hole.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:18 pm

Mathieu wrote:The real truth will come from the "alumni" when they are finished their respective programs. Did they "feel" like they got their money's worth or what?
I'll tell you from experience that the problem with that scenario is, the best programs in the country have thousands of folks that attended and went home to work in the grocery store because they had unrealistic expectations of their programs. This school will be no different.

I have read many accounts of the very school that I attended being a crock, and a ripoff, but I wouldn't trade my time there for the world. I know that it set me up for the career that I have today.

They are funny places, these schools.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:31 pm

Horse to water...

I suppose you have a point, but I'd still like to think if I went somewhere and spent that kind of cash that I'd feel responsible for my end of the learning process too. Of course both parties are responsible to the end result. Yeah there's a lot of kids failing at McGill, and complaining about it. Doesn't make it a bad school.

On this subject what are some of the guideposts that anyone could think of that would empirically decide whether an educational insitute is worth it's salt then? If not by student satisfaction...

Any thoughts?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:36 pm

Instructors, Faculty, Recommendation from Alumni.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:25 pm

Well they got Goz and Norm... those are good steps in the way of instructors, I don't really know other instructors in their various fields. Faculty? Um.... I, er, uh... next question.

But I found a course that I want to take from there, if someone wants to lend me the cash...lol

"Discovering Your Inner Self" for $199.00+HST

Does anyone want to to sponsor me? I need to find myself... at a price. :-P

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:31 pm

I wish someone could teach me how to find my outer self.

Oh, and two instructors does not a school make. Especially when you read what they were promising as a program, and what they expect to charge for that program. Compared to some of the other schools of it's kind, it's expecting a lot.

No I don't expect it to be John Harris' place, but I don't expect it to cost near as much either. Al's studio isn't Metalworks, but he doesn't charge their rates, know what I mean?
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:21 pm

Yup... They have an inflated sense of their value methinks...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to The Coffee Shop