Ever been really happy to have gotten out of bed?

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Ever been really happy to have gotten out of bed?

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:49 am

Last night, I was out at Cougar's doing the open mic "house band" thing with Roachie, which is our regular routine on a Sunday night. Well a regular routine evening turned into a very unreal surprise.

My good friend John Collier showed up which was a nice surprise itself. After chatting with John for a minute, he told me he had been playing for a cat by the name of Tony "Wild T" Springer. The name sounded somewhat familiar but, it wasn't ringing any bells for me. I mentioned the name to Roach who's eyes immediately lit up. He had seen him play in Toronto a lot, back in the day when Roach was going to Harris Institute.

Joh told me that he might be stopping by. An hour later he did stop by, and introduced himself to everyone, a real peach of a guy. Very sweet and humble human being. A real jem.

After watching a few sets go by, John asks me if I'd want to get up and do a set with the two of them. "Of course," I replied.

HOLY SHIT. This guy absolutely blew my mind. His pocket was so intense that you could drive a truck through it. I'd never quite played with anyone that mezmerizing before. He was so intense that it was surreal. John and I just smiled at each other watching this guy go, I was just happy to be a part of it. He was one of the most stunning blues gutarists I'd ever witnessed.

If you ever have the chance to catch this guy, I would strongly reccomend it. Speaking of which he is playing at the imperial with Carson Downey, and a host of other great blues artist this friday, November 9th, at 8pm. He's worth seeing.

http://www.wildt.ca

http://www.imperialtheatre.nb.ca/site/index.php?id=191
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:36 pm

Been listening to him since the days. Met his drummer at the time at Just Drums in Toronto as he was in for a lesson from none other than Paul DeLong. I still have that picture. I saw them live at the Three Mile and also opening for Bon JOvi on the 'Keep the Faith' tour. Ass kicker.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:35 am

I believe Tony Springer has appeared on some different artist's albums as a sideman as well. I know I have him on at least a couple of different things. There's a Frozen Ghost album that he plays on that's quite fantastic.

He's a known cat in Canada, in many circles.

I heard John was playing with Carson Downy on this tour too...
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:22 am

Yeah I got the impression that John was playing with Carson as well. Although I never thought to ask to confirm that. I know that John and Murrray Downey are backing up Tony, it would make sense if the same backup band was used with Carson.

Good for John, he's very deserving of that.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby kevin shephard » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:43 pm

Hey guys...

John is, in fact, performing with Carson Downey for this little Maritime Tour. I think he is in PEI tonight or tomorrow night. I talked to him last night. He's having a blast!

I think he was just jamming with Wild T. I don't think he is performing with him in his band.

Hoping to make it out to the show Friday night. It will be cool to see him up there rockin (bluesin) it out with Carson!

He is very deserving of this. It is scary how good he is. I feel blessed to have him as my right-hand man in Big Easy.
kevin shephard

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:55 pm

Yeah, Jon was solid as hell Sunday night. It was a true pleasure grooving with him. I love his playing. Norm calls him the "Groove Machine"... and he is sooo right.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to The Coffee Shop