Aliant Mobility Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... *WARNING* RANT!!!

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Aliant Mobility Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... *WARNING* RANT!!!

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:50 am

So a while back I got a Palm Treo 650 with Aliant mobility, my provider of choice for every phone I've had, plus internet provider. I've always been pretty happy with their level of service until recently.

I was going over my bills at the end of the year, and realized that the "data package" for my phone was going virtually unused, including several months where it wasn't used at all. This is easy to miss as Aliant removes "data" from the usage stats page instead of showing the usage as ZERO! Tricky buggers.

The deal with the data package is that when I "upgraded" my phone, I was told by the salesperson that in order to use the "features" of my Treo, I would have to subscribe to a data plan. I said, OK, give me the lowest plan which is, get this, $25 for 4MB of transfer. That's enough to download one MP3.... The mind boggles.

So, as I realized this "data plan" was going unused, I contacted Aliant and requested to have the data package removed from my setup as I wasn't using it, and will continue to not use it. I was told that because I have a Palm Treo, it is "mandatory" to subscribe to a data plan! I replied to Aliant that this is similar to saying that if you have a BLUE phone, you have to subscribe to a data plan. They proceeded to explain to me that since I purchased a Treo, that is "designed" to browse the web differently than a "regular" phone, the data package is mandatory.

In my last e-mail to Aliant, I explained that since I didn't purchase the Treo with surfing the net in mind, there is an obvious flaw in their billing practice with respect to these phones.

I have yet to hear a final word on this from Aliant, but I expect to get nowhere... and they wonder why their market share continues to shrink. I have had no reason to question my service before, but because of their greedy stand on this, I may be taking my $250+ a month and going elsewhere as soon as I can.

I don't believe Rogers has a similar demand on their similar products. Anyone know?

Just a little beware... FYI.

Like I said, this just seems so obviously lame, I can't believe no one else is after them for this. It would be different if it were just part of a package price, but it's a separate feature added to the bill. I don't mind paying for features, and service, but forcing something onto my package is ridiculous. Especially something as useless as 4MB for $25!!!
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby oddioguy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:20 am

If you want a cash grab, look into their pre-paid cell plan.... :evil:

I actually canceled my cell phone service 2 months ago...I'm old-timey enough to live without one.
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby macrae11 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:28 pm

I switched over to Rogers about 3 months ago and am very happy. I don't know about their data features though, as I don't currently have a data plan.

I was actually a happy Telus customer, but seeing as they didn't have any other services in our area, the Rogers bundle was a way better deal. We're now saving almost $100/month. We also have our home phone, internet, and cable through Rogers.

Personally I'm not a huge Rogers fan, but I definitely think that it is the lesser of two evils, as I really dislike Aliant. Kind of a funny side note, we're doing a bunch of Olympic ads for Aliant.

Oh and Rogers now has kareoke on their digital cable plan, so if all of the above wasn't enough to sway you, now I know you're sold. :roll:
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby fish » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:19 pm

It sucks that Aliant won't let you out, but I don't find it the least bit surprising. No carrier in Canada has anything remotely resembling a reasonably priced data plan. FIDO used to until they got bought out. That's why we don't have iPhone here in Canada. Apple wont bring it where they can't promise cheap/unlimited data packages.

Aliant sucks...
Rogers sucks...
Telus sucks...
etc, etc

What we really need here in Canada is for someone like Verizon to come in and provide REAL competition and force Bell, Rogers, etc to smarten up. You think you got problems Mal? Try being THIS guy...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22262994/
fish
Bronze Member

Location: somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:29 pm

So I double checked and Rogers doesn't require a "data" package just for the privilege of using a Palm Treo. So it does appear just to be an Aliant scam, not an industry wide scam.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby fish » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:25 pm

Are you taking them up on their new offer??
fish
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:50 pm

I just hate these kind of games. This is what happens when they know they've got you. If I had less time on my contractual obligation, I'd be gone, but now, it'll probably just cost too much to move.

It they had just offered up a compromise on the first reply, I would have jumped at it, but now, it's just them playing the game.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby fish » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:33 am

We've talked about this kind of thing before. They most definately DO play games, and while I understand that you'll pay out the nose to get out of your contract, and I totally understand WHY you would stay (I probably would too) but, if you stay...who wins the game? ;-)
fish
Bronze Member

Return to The Coffee Shop