Once

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Once

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:31 am

Once

I watched this film last week, and it really left it's mark on me. It was wonderfully written and acted, but the music was what hit me the hardest. I haven't heard music that's hit me this hard in years. After renting the film I immediately went out and bought the DVD and the CD Soundtrack.

The film was made on less than a shoestring budget. The lead male and female actors weren't really intended on being in the film (as they are not actors). They were however the ones that wrote all the music for the film. There were 6 crew left when the original male lead (thus the producers and all the money) left. Everyone agreed to work for free because they were all very passionate about the film. So this film comes at us against all odds really.

So last week I was listening to the soundtrack all week, really getting into the songs. Then Sunday night, while I was playing at Cougars I heard the news that Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (our unlikely lead actors) won 'Best Song' at the Oscars. This made me really happy, as no one could be more deserving.

All this just to say: Go rent the movie and see it for yourself. If you like movies about life, love and music... You'll like this one.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:58 am

Will definitely make time to check that one out.

On another movie note, did anyone see that Paul McCartney movie? I don't remember the title, but it looked great.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:00 pm

No I haven't even realized that one existed.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:27 pm

great movie. Glen Hansard is from a band called The Frames. They're worth checking out.
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:40 pm

Yeah I'm gonna grab up some of there CDs now.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby fish » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:07 pm

macrae11 wrote:On another movie note, did anyone see that Paul McCartney movie? I don't remember the title, but it looked great.

A new macca "movie?" Haven't heard anything about it. You don't mean "the McCartney Years" DVD, do you?
fish
Bronze Member

Location: somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Postby macrae11 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:12 am

No it was a fictional movie, I think only loosely based on Sir Paul, but with a full Beatles soundtrack.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby fish » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:19 am

I don't know what that would be. The only thing I can possibly think of Beatles related that's new is the Macca Years DVD, Ringo's "liverpool 8" or Across the Universe. Very interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it,.
fish
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:08 pm

I think Across the Universe is the one I'm thinking of. After reading a bit about it, I guess it doesn't have anything to do with Paul, it just uses Beatles tunes as part of the story line.

Sorry for the confusion.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:01 pm

Across The Universe was "ok"... The soundtrack is brilliant, and clever. However I don't like musicals all that much, although this was the first time I have to say that I sat through a whole musical and rather enjoyed it. It's worth renting, and the soundtrack is worth buying... my thoughts.

Once is on a completely different plane of existence for me though, not so much a musical in the classic sense. More of the music is part of the actual story being presented, it's not just a music track added to something that could have otherwise been spoken. The music in this seems more natural to the events being witnessed. I guess what I'm saying is that all of this could've happened exactly this way in real life (except for the band nailing the song off the floor on the first take and having sound perfectly mixed and mastered.....)

That's why traditional musicals aren't as appealing to me, because that shit doesn't really happen. I love musicals in a theatre. I think they are wonderful to see at the Imperial for example. But hate them on my TV...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Burnsy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:22 pm

Anyone see Sweeny Todd, the new movie with Johnny Depp starring? I haven't yet, but considering it's a musical, I'd be interested in the production. Any thoughts?
Burnsy
Bronze Member

Postby fish » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:56 pm

I really thought Across the Universe was very well done visually, and well thought out. I also agree with Matt that the soundtrack is VERY clever (mostly...I could've done without Eddie Izard's version of Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite) . The love story is quite cliche, but what're ya gonna do :-) On the big screen, it was quite astounding. It loses a little something on DVD, but still well worth seeing, especially if you're a beatles fan...then it's a must see.

As for Sweeney Todd, I'm not really into musicals (Only saw Across the Universe because I WORSHIP the Beatles) but my wife drug me to see it, and I gotta say, it's bloody brilliant (no pun intended at all). Given that the performers are actors and not really singers (for the most part)... they're all exceptionally good in their roles. My wife bought the soundtrack and plays it ALOT. That would normally make me insane, but in this case, it doesn't... I suppose for me that a glowing review. :-)
fish
Bronze Member

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:22 pm

I really liked Sweeney Todd.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby roachie » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:40 am

I loved this movie... if you utube these cats you'll see that they're playing the parts themselves... check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzlfXvF1 ... re=related and see for yourself... he's holding her capo down the whole song... wow.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:18 am

They are adorable... I've lent my copy of this to 8 people so far, including Roachie of course. Everyone's been glad to have seen it. If anyone wants me to run my copy out to them, just tell me where to drop it off...lol

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:53 pm

I'll probably pick it up from you the next time I'm up in the SJ.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:31 pm

Please come back soon... I miss you terribly! :cry:

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:04 am

Yeah I'm hopefully going to try to get sometime in March.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to The Coffee Shop