Ear protection

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Ear protection

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:04 am

Well I finally purchased my first good quality set of ear plugs. They're the Etymotic Research Musician's Earplugs with both the 15 db and 25 db attenuators. I was expecting an improvement over the regular $10 plugs, but I was blown away by how good they sounded. Very smooth frequency response, nice high end. It starts to roll off quite a bit above 8 or 9 k, but that's hardly a deal breaker.

I used them all during the festival of lights in PEI last weekend, and it made the shows much more enjoyable, except for the Hip, when I forgot them at home. ^^ They're the first hearing protection I've used that I feel like I could mix with. Would take some getting used for sure, but once you get used to the new balances and the slight loss of HF, I don't think there would be any problem. Generally I don't do a lot of gigs where hearing protection is really required, but it happens.

I think everyone who enjoys going to concerts, not just musicians and engineers, should have a pair of these. Best $300 I ever spent. Worth every penny.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:43 am

Man, if my car didn't just cost me $800 worth of brake maintenance, I'd love to be able to afford something really cool like that. It's on my wishlist now.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:26 am

Yeah I had to sell my 002 to afford mine.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:31 am

I don't wanna sell my fireface.... :cry:
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:38 am

You could always try selling your body again though......
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:50 am

Hmmm... Good idea!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:01 am

I totally felt the same way when I first got my plugs. I always knew it would be better, but it really outdid my expectations. I wish I had them years earlier.

As you said, it really takes the pain away from watching live music when some high SPL is involved. I always remember in some situations being torn between taking my chances with the volume, or wearing lame plugs which was a drag because of what it did to the sound and experience.

When I do wear filters when mixing, which isn't too often fortunately, I usually get things happening first, and then put plugs in once balances and such are together. It's an easier adjustment to go to the plugs, than to go from them. The 15s are quite easy to get used to.

As I mention to everyone looking at getting proper plugs, some insurance plans will cover some or all of the cost of getting ear plugs. I know all I needed was a note from my doctor which was as simple as asking for it. I also know of some who simply asked their insurance company, and they said they would cover it. It seems pretty obvious considering they cover all sorts of hearing related treatment after you're already damaged... You think a little prevention would be a lot cheaper.

With drumming, I always found that with using generic plugs, I would exert way more effort and energy than was normal because of compensating for the weird vibe of the plugs. Once I started using proper filters, I was able to protect my hearing while having the same feel and vibe of hearing the drums as they sound. Totally better experience.

I can't imagine gigging as much as some guys do and not having these plugs.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby sammyp » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:14 pm

lost one of mine this winter at a Honeymoon suite show! sux.....now i use rubber swimmer's plugs for the right ear....not bad though......$8 at shopper's

when did the plugs go to $300? when i got mine 3 years ago they were $200 but then again you got two pairs of filters
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby macrae11 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:07 am

Yeah the original plugs with the first filter were a little under $200, but additional filters are almost $50/ear, so....
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to The Coffee Shop