Palm Treo Bluetooth Hotsync

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Palm Treo Bluetooth Hotsync

Postby josh porter » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:48 am

Malcolm,
While looking round the Internet this morning, I came across a forum page dealing with the same issue we are with our Treo's. Near the end, I came across this message:
Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Rocely and I will be assisting you on this issue. I understand that you are not able to perform a HotSync® operation and receive an error message displaying 'Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application’.

This issue might be caused by some other applications that is currently been using the same port with your handheld. To resolve this issue, we advise you to first disconnect the HotSync cable, reboot your computer and perform a soft reset with your handheld. Please proceed below for the detailed procedures to perform a soft reset and creating a new connection on your handheld.

Windows 2000/XP
Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
Double-click Ports (COM & LPT).
Double-click the appropriate COM port.
Click the Port Settings tab.
Click Advanced.
Make sure that the FIFO Enabled box is NOT selected.
Exit the Control Panel and reboot your system.
Perform another HotSync operation.
In addition, ensure the following:

The correct COM port is free on the PC through the device manager.
The Cradle is securely plugged into the correct COM port.
Local is selected in the HotSync Manager.
The correct port is selected in the HotSync Manager.
PERFORM A SOFT RESET OF YOUR HANDHELD
Important information:

Always attempt a HotSync® operation prior to resetting the device.
When performing any of the resets listed below, a 'Reset Tool' will be required. Use the tip of an unfolded paper clip, unscrew the top end of the stylus, or use a similar object without a sharp tip.
If using a Palm handheld that includes the slider feature, opening this will reveal the reset hole.
Performing a soft reset

A soft reset tells your Palm to stop what it's doing and start over again. All records and entries stored in your handheld are retained with a soft reset. After a soft reset, the Palm logo screen appears, followed by the 'Preferences' screen.

To perform a soft reset:

Use the reset tool (described above) to gently press the reset button located inside the hole on the back panel of your handheld.
If after performing a Soft Reset, you still encounter the same error, you may need to create a new connection for your handheld.

CREATE A NEW CONNECTION

To create a new connection:

1. Tap on the “Home” icon of your handheld.

2. On the upper right hand corner of your screen, make sure that “All” is selected.

3. Look for the “Prefs” icon and tap on it.

4. On the Prefs application, choose “Connection”.

5. Click on the “New” button near the bottom of the screen.

6. On the “Name field”, type PALMTOPC as the name of the connection.

7. On the “Connect to” field, select PC.

8. On the “Via” field, select CABLE.

9. Tap on the “OK” button.

10. On the HotSync window of your handheld, below the HotSync icon, tap on the pull down arrow and choose the name that you have just created

If the problems persist after performing the steps above, proceed with the steps below.

1. Delete the ConnectionMgr50DB.pdb,

q The default path would be “C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\<username>\Backup”

2. Reboot computer.

3. Perform a HotSync operation.

We hope this issue has been resolved to your satisfaction. A Customer Satisfaction Survey will be emailed to you very shortly. Please take time to provide us with your feedback about this support experience, as it will help us in our on-going effort to continually improve our services.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. You can also find troubleshooting articles and frequently asked questions at:

http://kb.palm.com/

To learn more about Palm handhelds, please visit our support web site at:

http://www.palm.com/us/support

Thank you for choosing Palm.

Sincerely,

Rocely

Palm Technical Support

I have yet to try this at home but as soon as I get home, I plan on trying it out. If you try it before I post my results, Let me know how it worked for you.
josh porter
Bronze Member

Postby josh porter » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:46 am

Malcolm, I got it to work. I got a new adapter and tried that one and it works with my palm TX like a dream. I cant wait to get home and try it with the treo but atleast now I can hotsync one of my palm devices.
josh porter
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:49 pm

I have a Treo, but I haven't hotsynced it to anything in years. Glad you were able to resolve your issues though.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to The Coffee Shop