Adventures in the cold

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Adventures in the cold

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:46 am

Had a fun time last night. Was about 200 metres out of the studio parking lot when I ran out of gas last night around 7PM. Pulled over as far as I can, but I still didn't have much speed so I was still mostly in the middle of the road on a blind hill. Called my assistant who was still at the studio to bring down the gas can for the lawnmower down to me. Meanwhile I pushed the car about another 50 metres into someones driveway and mostly off the road.

Well he was there in about ten minutes, but the gas can didn't have a nozzle. So we pushed the car the rest of the way off the road and then drove up to the gas station to get their jerry can. Get back, empty the studio's gas into the tank.......Nothing. So I figure, well that gas is from the summer, maybe it's gone sour. So we head back to the gas station and fill up the gas can again. Drive back to the car empty the newly filled can......nothing. So now the tanks almost 1/4 full, and I know it's not a gas problem. Head back to the studio and call CAA. I'm completely frozen because at this point it's about -30 without the windchill. CAA gets there in about 40 minutes and we drive back up to the car. As we pull into the driveway and get out, the trucks headlights shine right onto the back of the car and I notice my tailpipe is completely white. Plugged full of snow and ice. So a few minutes with a long screw driver I start it up and it comes to life with a big belch of smoke from all the gas that was sitting in the exhaust system, from my multiple start attempts.

So after an hour in the cold, I finally warmed up by about 11 after a hot meal and being under the covers for a couple of hours.

Moral of the story: Don't live in Canada in the winter.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:57 am

Yeah, she's a cold one out there this morning. I bet there's a lot of folks with frozen gas lines and the like after all the swings in temperature over the last week.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:24 am

Urgh... I'm getting chills just thinking about that story. Did you back your car up into a snow bank or something?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:36 am

Drumwaiter wrote:Urgh... I'm getting chills just thinking about that story. Did you back your car up into a snow bank or something?

Yes I must have, although I never noticed anything. The exhaust pipe, being the lowest thing on the back of the car must have gone in without me feeling or hearing the bumper against the snow bank. It seems like the snow went in and partially melted from the heat of the exhaust, but then when I shut the car off it instantly froze into a solid block of half snow half ice.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:03 pm

macrae11 wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:Urgh... I'm getting chills just thinking about that story. Did you back your car up into a snow bank or something?

Yes I must have, although I never noticed anything. The exhaust pipe, being the lowest thing on the back of the car must have gone in without me feeling or hearing the bumper against the snow bank. It seems like the snow went in and partially melted from the heat of the exhaust, but then when I shut the car off it instantly froze into a solid block of half snow half ice.

Urgh that sucks! I feel for ya... :-( I hate the cold. Especially when you are stranded int he middle of nowhere.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to The Coffee Shop