Wrist Problems

Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Wrist Problems

Postby Greg H. » Wed May 27, 2009 11:27 pm

So lately i've been getting some pretty sharp pains in my left wrist, obviously from playing bass (mine has an extended neck too, which doesn't help anything), being left handed in general (I play guitar right), and from lifting weights at the gym (which is when it REALLY started hurting.

Anyone got any suggestions about wrist braces or anything? I don't really want a limp wrist, as weird as that may be... I don't really want to give up music or working out either :S
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed May 27, 2009 11:34 pm

Talk to your family doctor about this immediately. I'd hate to think you've developed tendonitis or carpal tunnel at your age. As always proper technique will save you here. Especially in the gym, if you're lifting weights and bending your wrists for leverage, you are asking for trouble.

Book an appointment with your doctor. Remember, if something hurts it's your body's way of saying STOP. So take it easy on your wrists while you wait to hear from your doctor.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Greg H. » Wed May 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Well I saw him when i was getting some vaccinations the other day, and he said that i had some minor tendon problems, and should take it easy for a few weeks... But i don't want to have give up that stuff completely, because that's all i really do, outside of friends. I just don't want to be restricted to not playing when i want
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 28, 2009 12:03 am

Yeah, understood. But would you rather be crippled in a few years and never be able to play again? Take care of yourself before the problem gets worse...
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Thu May 28, 2009 6:24 am

If I may chime in here...
As a bass player myself, I would definitely recommend putting the bass up for a week or two until the tendons heal up some. Maybe you have been over-doing it a little with your bass practicing? Developing left hand strength and agility is similar to a weight training regimen. Working out every day does more harm than good. The muscles and tendons will stretch and become inflamed, then they should be given a full day to heal. A good practice schedule would be practice every second day and give a day of rest in between. You will be surprised at how much more your playing stamina will improve.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Greg H. » Thu May 28, 2009 8:05 am

Alright, i'll do that, thanks Jef and Matt
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby roachie » Thu May 28, 2009 11:53 am

I was also told that when the pain kicks in, put your hands on ice for a few minutes, and obviously stop playing for the day... somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that...
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Jef » Thu May 28, 2009 12:06 pm

roachie wrote:I was also told that when the pain kicks in, put your hands on ice for a few minutes, and obviously stop playing for the day... somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that...

Yup, that will help relieve the symptoms. Also ibuprofen helps too. But when it hurts, you've over done it and need a break.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby clinton » Fri May 29, 2009 10:02 am

Yeah Greg you'd be smart to take this advice from Jef and Matt, I've had tendonittis and thanksfully have not had any symptoms for a couple years now. I had to give up playing guitar for a couple months back in the Carousels and for a while I was afraid that it was permanent. Thankfully it was not.

Best advice anyone ever gave me was stretch before you play. It might not seem like a strenuous activity but it is and if you stretch you're just protecting yourself and prolonging the joy you get from it.
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri May 29, 2009 10:14 am

clinton wrote:Best advice anyone ever gave me was stretch before you play.

Great advice, I can'ty believe I didn't mention it first. Warming up is key. You know how in gym class they always used to make you warm up in the beginning? There's a reason for that.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Greg H. » Sat May 30, 2009 1:18 am

Yeah... Warming up IS a good idea too... Never really done it before. I'll do it before next show, on Friday, see how much it helps
Greg H.
Silver Member

Return to The Coffee Shop