Roland V-kit on crack and pot!!

---The Thom Chandler Memorial Forum
Archived for your use & enjoyment.

Roland V-kit on crack and pot!!

Postby roachie » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:47 pm

Yeah, that's still clever.

Ok, I am stumped, so the master volume of our V-kit makes a crackling noise (similar to pulling an acoustic patch chord while live) and it baffles me. If the pot is dirty, why would it crackle a pot whose job is simply to raise and lower a value in the digital realm?
roachie
Sean Roach

Re: Roland V-kit on crack and pot!!

Postby oddioguy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:15 am

roachie wrote:Yeah, that's still clever.

Ok, I am stumped, so the master volume of our V-kit makes a crackling noise (similar to pulling an acoustic patch chord while live) and it baffles me. If the pot is dirty, why would it crackle a pot whose job is simply to raise and lower a value in the digital realm?

Following that logic (digital pun!!) would indicate that the master is attenuating an analog signal.
Can I assume that the output from the module is analog? It is then safe to assume that the master is part of the analog circuitry. You need pot cleaner, and I don't mean something that removes the seeds and leaves the bud. :mrgreen:
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:22 am

Without seeing it, I would make the same assumption. If the pot crackles, it's probably in the analog domain at the output stage. I have seen digital controls "snap" at the "minus infinity" mark because of some wave clipping. That would not be your problem though.

It would be different if it weren't the master out, but that is probably the give away since it would be improbably at some other stage of processing.

Make sense?
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:56 am

I just came across this thread. I wanted to add my conclusion to the story. I returned to the Flaming Bird in October, after this thread was posted, and I noticed the same thing. So, I pulled the brain and brought it intot he shop to show Al. I tried for 30 minutes to prove to him that this volume pot in fact was noisy. The damn thing wouldn't fail! It made no noise that night, in anyway, shape or form. Al told me I was full of shit and walked out. I was upset... I hate problems that "fix themselves", you can't trust that shit. However, 13 months later. It hasn't made a single noise yet....and I've trying to make it happen. I have not (even intentionally) been able to reproduce, since then, the crackle that Roachie described and that I heard.

:evil:
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:02 am

Drumwaiter wrote:I just came across this thread. I wanted to add my conclusion to the story. I returned to the Flaming Bird in October, after this thread was posted, and I noticed the same thing. So, I pulled the brain and brought it intot he shop to show Al. I tried for 30 minutes to prove to him that this volume pot in fact was noisy. The damn thing wouldn't fail! It made no noise that night, in anyway, shape or form. Al told me I was full of shit and walked out. I was upset... I hate problems that "fix themselves", you can't trust that shit. However, 13 months later. It hasn't made a single noise yet....and I've trying to make it happen. I have not (even intentionally) been able to reproduce, since then, the crackle that Roachie described and that I heard.

:evil:

Gear has a way of straightening up and flying right when in my presence.
Basically it gets scared.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:04 am

If there was a more logical explanation, I'd go with it. But there just isn't!
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby oddioguy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:07 am

If the pot had been stationary for a length of time, and either randomly or after being rotated, made the noise in question it was due to an accumulation of oxidation on the wiper that subsequently cleaned itself after the pot was rotated a few more times.

Either that or a poltergeist... ;-)
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:09 am

oddioguy wrote:If the pot had been stationary for a length of time, and either randomly or after being rotated, made the noise in question it was due to an accumulation of oxidation on the wiper that subsequently cleaned itself after the pot was rotated a few more times.

Either that or a poltergeist... ;-)

Oh come on that wouldn't make any sense at all! Witchcraft phooey...

Obviously it was the Poltergeist! :-|

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby oddioguy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:18 am

So we are in agreement....ghost in the machine.

:twisted:
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:21 am

abso-fricken-lutely.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to The Original Gear: Maintenance, Repair and Modification