UHF and VHF

---The Thom Chandler Memorial Forum
Archived for your use & enjoyment.

UHF and VHF

Postby josh porter » Fri May 11, 2007 8:45 am

I wasn't sure where this question went so i decided that the coffee shop was a good place to put it. My question is can any one tell me the difference between UHF and VHF? and what they stand for? thanks
josh porter
Bronze Member

Re: UHF and VHF

Postby oddioguy » Fri May 11, 2007 9:18 am

josh porter wrote:I wasn't sure where this question went so i decided that the coffee shop was a good place to put it. My question is can any one tell me the difference between UHF and VHF? and what they stand for? thanks

UHF stands for Ultra High Frequency, while VHF stands for Very High Frequency.
The difference is the frequency bandwidth assigned to each. VHF, as it pertains to wireless mics ( this is what you're talking about, I presume) nominally occupies the 170 to 200Mhz range, while UHF is in the 500 to 700Mhz range.
What does this mean in practical terms?
UHF is affected less by obstructions, and the bandwidth is less cluttered so there is less chance if annoying interference.
You can usually pick up VHS systems for a song these days as all manufacturers move to UHF.
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri May 11, 2007 3:02 pm

oddioguy wrote:You can usually pick up VHS systems for a song these days as all manufacturers move to UHF.
I thought most manufacturers had switched to DVD... ;-)
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby oddioguy » Fri May 11, 2007 3:18 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
oddioguy wrote:You can usually pick up VHS systems for a song these days as all manufacturers move to UHF.
I thought most manufacturers had switched to DVD... ;-)

MALCOLM BOYCE ladies and gentlemen!!! He's here all week, so come on back for the matinee Saturday afternoon!!!

:twisted:
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri May 11, 2007 3:29 pm

Just to add to Thom's response. UHF used to be considered "Cadillac" but now is considered necessary. Cost was a factor, but now anyone can afford decent UHF gear, even for single channel instrument uses.

The same can be said for diversity VS. non diversity wireless. Why would you buy non diversity wireless these days? Can you still buy non diversity wireless? I suppose a bingo hall in Browns Flats could use one and get away with it...
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to The Original Gear: Maintenance, Repair and Modification