iPod Shuffle

---The Thom Chandler Memorial Forum
Archived for your use & enjoyment.

iPod Shuffle

Postby macrae11 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:00 am

Well I'm thinking about getting one of the new shuffles, just for going to the gym and stuff. The problem is that the controls are on the headphone cord. For obvious reasons I do not want to use the iPod ear buds. So I'm trying to think of a workaround for this. I'm sure I could just hack off the ear buds and put in an 1/8th inch jack, but I like something a little more elegant.

The headphones use a TRRS jack. I'm assuming that it outputs a line level signal that can just be attenuated by the little control. That seems simple enough, but the song changing it's where I would think it gets a little more difficult. Especially since the control varies based on how long you hold the button.

Any thoughts? Or should I just get one of the old 2 gig models?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:02 am

Get one of the older generation models. I have one I bought about a year ago to go to the gym with and it's pretty simple with controls on the damn unit where they should be.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Well I got the old 2 Gig version, which should work fairly well. I'm a little annoyed that the shuffle is limited to 128kbps AAC files. It's a really piss off because my whole library is done in Apple Lossless. Luckily it has an autoconvert feature when syncing, or I'd be sending it back. I guess I'm just using it for the gym anyways, so I shouldn't complain.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:15 am

macrae11 wrote:Well I got the old 2 Gig version, which should work fairly well. I'm a little annoyed that the shuffle is limited to 128kbps AAC files. It's a really piss off because my whole library is done in Apple Lossless. Luckily it has an autoconvert feature when syncing, or I'd be sending it back. I guess I'm just using it for the gym anyways, so I shouldn't complain.

Leave it to you to be complaining about audio integrity while at the gym... :roll:
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:52 am

What do you expect??... It's me.

Actually I tried it out for the first time last night, and there is quite a noticeable decrease in quality. I don't know how much of this is due to the lower quality files, and how much is due to a poorer DAC/headphone amp.

Still gets the job done though I guess.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:31 pm

How was the workout though?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Actually I was just vacuuming yesterday :oops:
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby josh porter » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:49 pm

Ya well i hear that vacuming is the new hot sport. I give it maybe 3 years until it becomes an Olympic sport. So you're on the fast track to being a gold medalist.
josh porter
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:57 pm

I've got a Dyson that I'll put up against anyone elses Vacuum any day. Bring it on!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Greg H. » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:00 am

How old are vaccum cleaners?
Answer that, and you have the age of ours... It's more duct tape AND electrical tape than a vaccum.

Your on Matt.
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby macrae11 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:40 am

I have to admit, I'm a bit of a vintage snob when it comes to vacuum cleaners. I've got a '74 Power-mate with 1.3 hp and dual exhaust. It's one mean machine.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to The Original Gear: Maintenance, Repair and Modification