Headphone Abuse

---The Thom Chandler Memorial Forum
Archived for your use & enjoyment.

Headphone Abuse

Postby humeurs » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:43 pm

So, after years of wear and tear, I am constantly running into having to repair my old headphones. I have two pair of AKG's that I cannot let go of.
Does anyone know an EASY way to repair headphones?? Some magic secret that I am not figuring out?

Why do companies constantly make it difficult to get into their products? What a pain.

Opening the headphones, piece by piece, soldering the wires that are always what is causing the problem, all with two hands of the three I need and then putting them back together only to have them fail again a few weeks later.

They are being held together now with duct tape. It's been that long. Am I just being cheap or do I just LOVE these headphones.

heh ...
humeurs

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:37 pm

Is this a model you can't get anymore?

Basically, my experience is, sometimes things have it together with how they are assembled for you to be able to maintain... sometimes they are more of a "throwaway" item.

A good example of this is the Beyer DT series headphones/headsets. They aren't the most comfortable or best sounding, but you can pretty much strip and replace every part on them with only the use of a Gerber, and a soldering iron if necessary.

Lots of Sonys I've used... Not so much.

Just depends on the make and model.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:31 pm

I take exception to the Beyer DT series comment. I have a pair of DT770's that are the bomb. Super comfortable, awesome isolation, and great sound quality, albeit a little scooped. They're my go to vocal tracking cans. Perhaps you have some other experience with another model.

What model of AKG's are they Humeurs?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:51 pm

macrae11 wrote:I take exception to the Beyer DT series comment. I have a pair of DT770's that are the bomb.

+1
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby humeurs » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:53 am

macrae11 wrote:I take exception to the Beyer DT series comment. I have a pair of DT770's that are the bomb. Super comfortable, awesome isolation, and great sound quality, albeit a little scooped. They're my go to vocal tracking cans. Perhaps you have some other experience with another model.

What model of AKG's are they Humeurs?

Whichever you like, but you are welcome to call me Chris
Humeurs is a silly name I use on forums some reason. Most I don't tell my name, but here I basically know you or know who you are.
So either way. :)

I have a set of AKG K240's and AKG K141's - I adore both for different reasons.

These are easy to take apart and hard to put back together.
Meanwhile, I have a rough time keeping things in check while trying to do (albeit poor) a soldering job on the wires that come loose.

These headphones may be held together with Duct Tape and have Soldering burns, but I love em'

Do gear maintenance folks use benches and clamps and whatnot?

edit* Seriously though! Why so complicated! haha
humeurs

Postby macrae11 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:08 pm

Sure Chris.

Both great models of cans, and both discontinued. They do have MKII's but I've never used the new ones, so I don't know how close they are.
I'm not a maintenance person, but I do some of my own work. I have two little clamps that are invaluable for fussy little jobs like these.

If I were you, I'd buy at least one set of new cans. You can never have to many, and then you'll have a trustworthy backup for that important session when your current ones crap out. And if you end up liking it as much, bonus.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby humeurs » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:31 pm

macrae11 wrote:Sure Chris.

Both great models of cans, and both discontinued. They do have MKII's but I've never used the new ones, so I don't know how close they are.
I'm not a maintenance person, but I do some of my own work. I have two little clamps that are invaluable for fussy little jobs like these.

If I were you, I'd buy at least one set of new cans. You can never have to many, and then you'll have a trustworthy backup for that important session when your current ones crap out. And if you end up liking it as much, bonus.

I recently purchased a 30 dollar pair of crappers. big mistake.
You get what you pay for ... at least they do in a pinch when I need em'

I don't do very much session work with people and when I do it's usually for my friends, so they don't complain. They get what they pay for ;)
humeurs

Postby clinton » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:41 pm

humeurs wrote:They get what they pay for ;)

I'm gonna need a refund :-)
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:23 pm

macrae11 wrote:I take exception to the Beyer DT series comment.
I like the Beyer, but I wouldn't say they are the "best sounding" compared to similar range cans like many AKG and Sony I've used. Personal preference is basically in play here. I do love how easy that whole line is to repair "in the field".

Regarding their comfort... I do have a pretty large noggin.... :oops:

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:41 pm

Just curious what models you've used, because the 770's are extremely comfortable, and go quite large. Everyone who tries them here loves them.

the 770's aren't the "best" sounding for sure. But the 80 ohms 880's kick the pants off any Sony can's I've ever used in regards to fidelity.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

macrae11 wrote:Just curious what models you've used, because the 770's are extremely comfortable, and go quite large. Everyone who tries them here loves them.

Your head is bigger than Malcolm's. Just an observation...
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:15 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
macrae11 wrote:Just curious what models you've used, because the 770's are extremely comfortable, and go quite large. Everyone who tries them here loves them.

Your head is bigger than Malcolm's. Just an observation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=varaAADgC84

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:41 pm

macrae11 wrote:Just curious what models you've used, ...
Dunno... I just remember them all having that "classic" Beyer design.
I haven't used any lately other than the Broadcast/Com variety.

One thing I remember is that they have some of the best isolation ever. This, I think, contributed to the big bottom end that I associate with them.

Once again... I'm talking about the Beyer's in a favourable way.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:25 pm

Ah hence our disagreement. These are the one's I'm talking about. Totally different ballpark. Still great isolation, but super comfortable.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Beaver » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:15 pm

I have 2 sets of AKG K240 Studio's that I love.
Beaver

Return to The Original Gear: Maintenance, Repair and Modification