Nearfield Speakers

---The Thom Chandler Memorial Forum
Archived for your use & enjoyment.

Nearfield Speakers

Postby LarryS » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:17 pm

I am right in the middle of a recording project (a new demo for my band) and my near field monitors decided to take a big crap.

What are the poor folks using these days for home recording project studios. I know the speakers that I would like to have to replace my old ones but there is no way I can afford them right now. I can probably scrape up somewhere around $400.00. Is there anything halfway usable in this price range??

Side note;
Tom would you have time to take a look at mine to see if a fix is possible?

I kind of hate to buy something that I am not going to be happy with and I can probably get by with headphones but I sure would like to have some kind of monitors to finish this project with, a project that needed to be done yesterday. :-(
LarryS
Bronze Member

Re: Nearfield Speakers

Postby Jef » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:37 pm

If you're in a big hurry, just save as Cakewalk Bundle files and bring it down and you can use my rig until you get yours going again. I don't have anything too urgent on the go right now so we can squeeze your project in anytime.

ps.... bring beer

*side note... oddioguy has signed off from the internet for a while so you'll probably have to phone him. I think he still checks his work email but I haven't seen him on any of the usual forums for the past few months.
Last edited by Jef on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:50 pm

Do you need powered or unpowered?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby LarryS » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:10 pm

I will definitely take you up on that. That is how I figured we would proceed even with my monitors working.

I was just curious to see if there could be some economic options for me. So I thought I would share this thread to see if anyone here had any thoughts.

My issue is purely logistical I am not sure when I will have the time to get down to beautiful Blacks Harbour and Judy's good cooking. I am pretty slammed the next month or so but I really need to get this in presentable format ASAP.

You know I always bring beer!!!!! :-P
LarryS
Bronze Member

Postby LarryS » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:13 pm

macrae11 wrote:Do you need powered or unpowered?

I would prefer powered but I do have a half descent power amp if need be. Thanks for asking because I was not even thinking along those lines.

See that's why I love this forum!! :-)
LarryS
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:30 pm

Here's a good deal on a demo pair. Should come in at a little over 4 CAD landed. I like the new JBL's. These are only 5" so you'd probably want to eventually get a sub.

These guys are great. I haven't used these newer versions, but the old ones were awesome. Definitely not the only set of speakers you want to have around though.

I haven't heard these guys guys, but they're based on the new Digi monitors, which are based on a PMC design, which is awesome. I'm not sure how far the apple fell from the tree, but the M-Audio budget line has always been decent, and these should be a step up from those. Above your stated price range though. The other less expensive M-audio's would be worth taking a look at, like the BX-5's for example.

If you want to get something good, it'll have to be small. If you go for something big at this price range, almost guaranteed it'll suck.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby LarryS » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:00 am

Thanks for the input Andrew!!
LarryS
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:43 pm

macrae11 wrote:If you want to get something good, it'll have to be small. If you go for something big at this price range, almost guaranteed it'll suck.
I would second that comment. You're looking at a 6" model of powered monitors in the $400/pair range at the most before you're getting into "toy" range.

Powered VS. Non Powered makes a big difference in your budget. You could definitely get a hipper pair of non powered for the same money, but with a powered set you are dealing with fewer variables. Amp/speaker combination is the whole deal.

The one most important thing is, try some different things before laying down the cash, unless you have a no hassle return policy with who you are dealing with. The single most important thing is how they sound to you.

I know the stigma attached to the brand, but I wouldn't hesitate in suggesting you listen to a pair of these in your list of things to check out.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby LarryS » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:18 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I know the stigma attached to the brand, but I wouldn't hesitate in suggesting you listen to a pair of these in your list of things to check out.

Thanks Malcom. I actually try hard not harbor many brand name stigma's. I tend to be the guy who most want's what can work well for me and my budget. I really have had pretty good luck with Behringer gear overall, I know some of their stuff is more or less disposable; i.e. mixer shelf lives but all said and done the one that I had served me well for a number of years. I definitely got my $300 worth. Although I really appreciate the quality of some of the more expensive stuff. I am desperately saving for an Allen and Heath mixer.... I just can't wait. This is one reason why I am looking for a work around on Nearfields. The old yin and yang syndrome!!..LOL

I sure do appreciate the input. I have actually thought about the Truths. I missed out on the JBL's that had suggested. Sure do wish I could win the lottery so I could truly get in touch with my inner gear whore!!!! :-P
LarryS
Bronze Member

Return to The Original Gear: Maintenance, Repair and Modification