Amp Trials at Fluid

The New Gear: Maintenance, Repair, and Modification Forum.
----Hosted by Al Benoit

Amp Trials at Fluid

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:52 pm

I am lovin' reading about these trials at Fluid... Especially our friend Scott's experiences.

Any of you gtr players in our circle who aren't taking advantage of the opportunity to try some stuff out and comment are seriously missing out.

What do you think Matt.... Snare Drum trials next?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Amp Trials at Fluid

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I am lovin' reading about these trials at Fluid... Especially our friend Scott's experiences.

Any of you gtr players in our circle who aren't taking advantage of the opportunity to try some stuff out and comment are seriously missing out.

What do you think Matt.... Snare Drum trials next?

I've been trying out snare drums my whole life. Problem with snare drums is that they'd have to be evaluated with the stock heads, and who knows if those heads were properly seated or if they were damaged. It's harder to just plug and play since there are way more variables to factor in then a guitar amp.

I'm not opposed to the idea though... and if we did it I'd totally set it up in the live room, mic it and post the results. ;-)

EDIT: You'd have to show up for the trials.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:I'm not opposed to the idea though... and if we did it I'd totally set it up in the live room, mic it and post the results. ;-)

EDIT: You'd have to show up for the trials.

I'm all over that. If I could play a guitar I'd have been over for every one of those amps.

If you want to be an overachiever and record, go ahead, but I care more about how it sounds to the player, much like Scott's testimonials about the amps.

I've got 4 myself, and I know I can get my hands on some more. I know you guys have like 100 up there right... ? dielaugh

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:25 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:If you want to be an overachiever and record, go ahead, but I care more about how it sounds to the player, much like Scott's testimonials about the amps.

I've got 4 myself, and I know I can get my hands on some more. I know you guys have like 100 up there right... ? dielaugh

If you came up for the trials I wouldn't bother recording it necessarily unless Andrew (or someone) requested it.

We actually have about as many snares as we have guitar amps. 13 snare drums and 14 guitar amps to be exact. I only use two snare drums for recording these days though, a 14"x5" maple and a 14"x8 brass both made by Yamaha.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 pm

[quote="Malcolm Boyce"
I've got 4 myself, and I know I can get my hands on some more. I know you guys have like 100 up there right... ? dielaugh[/quote]

4 what? Guitar amps or snares? In either case which ones?

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:26 am

Alain Benoit wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:I've got 4 myself, and I know I can get my hands on some more. I know you guys have like 100 up there right... ? dielaugh

4 what? Guitar amps or snares? In either case which ones?

A.
Uhhhhhh.... Definitely snare drums.

First, my oldest is a late 70's/early 80's Pearl chrome on steel 5.5"x14" "Standard Steel" drum.

I have a late '90s Pearl Sensitone Custom 5.5"x14" Brass.

A late '90s Pearl 3"x13" Brass. Similar to this.

A relatively new Pearl Sensitone Elite 5"x14" Brass. Truly a beautiful drum for the price.

I really favour metal snare drums, but anything good, is good. Getting a nice 6.5"x14" maple drum is probably going to happen some day if the fever hits, and I'm playing more.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Fluid Wireworks