How are you exposed to new music?

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

How are you exposed to new music?

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:58 pm

I continue to feel like the system of delivering new music to me has moved on and left me behind. I recently enjoyed walking into HMV and buying a copy of Daft Punk "Random Access Memories", an artist I was only peripherally aware of before a friend turned me on to this new record. I derive great pleasure in going into a music retailer and purchasing an actual copy of new music, something I did years ago with great frequency. Now, just finding something that actually interests me is a treat.

I used to be one of those guys that would, for Christmas or birthdays, get many gift cards (gift certificates in the "old days") for Sam's or A&A, and would have to carefully weed through the many options there before deciding on what I would spend them on. Now, I find myself looking around with little but older product that I might like enough to buy, either something that I either never got around to, or something that I'm buying again for one reason or another. 3-5 times a year there might be an exception, but for me that is pretty sad considering what I once spent yearly on new music.

I was a guy that found music on the radio, and eventually music television. I'm just old enough to have been part of the last decade or so when broadcasters were actually exposing new music. I remember when MuchMusic was new, and so many of my friends didn't get what they were about because they were showing so much great stuff that wasn't super beaten to death. I find myself unable to listen to terrestrial radio anymore, and don't even bother talking about "music television" for the last 30 years.....

I held on and, during the '90s when I was teaching music regularly, students of mine brought me great new artists and albums to check out, but since I got away from that activity, my sources dried up. I don't teach enough to get that exposure that I once had.

Maybe it's me, and I'm just not keeping up with the times. So, my question to those of you getting your hands on stuff that really tweaks your musical taste, and I'm talking new stuff... How are you all getting exposed to this new material?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: How are you exposed to new music?

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:05 pm

...oh and this is a brilliant blend of old school '70s R&B and funk with new dance music.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:32 am

I found a new band last night. My sexy friend likes to listen to The Signal on CBC Radio 2 which is hosted by Laurie Brown, who did her time at Muchmusic. The Signal mostly features instrumental music, fortunate for me. I've discovered several bands listening to this program. Malcolm, you should check out Space Cadet by Kid Koala. What I found last night was Pawa Up First, a band from Quebec. They are brilliant. Most of their stuff is streamable on Bandcamp, which is great if you don't want to spend $$, but I plan to buy some albums because it makes me feel good to support unpopular Canadian bands that are awesome. I find Youtube to be a wonderful resource, if you've got some time on your hands. I don't know how their sidebar/other stuff works, if it's based on user's histories or some complex algorithm, but if I am listening to something I like, even something that I know very well, there is often a diverse bunch of suggestions. Most of them are crap, but if you are willing to spend the time, then you can often find something you like. The thing with YT is that it doesn't automatically play what it feels is similar or relevant music, so it is up to you to choose what you will listen to next. There are sites that claim to be able to offer you music that you should or will likely like, based on your previous choices- Pandora and LastFM, but I've not enjoyed the time I've spent trying these sites/services. Your opinion may differ from mine.
I gotta tell ya, this
http://pawaupfirst.bandcamp.com/album/missing-time-2
is kicking my ass,
and you all Colm should check this out
http://kidkoala.bandcamp.com/album/spac ... ture-score
and this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=KRr ... =endscreen
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:53 pm

I loved Laurie Brown & Daniel Richler as the second generation "New Music" hosts.

Big fan of buying recordings the old fashioned way... Unfortunately, there are so few music stores left, and those around here are sadly lacking in product availability. Something also missing is the original and more interactive "people who bought this, also buy this" kind of suggestion like you get on websites. As someone who worked in music retail, we would make suggestions to regular customers based on their tastes, knowing the stuff we had access to with new albums and play copies. I always enjoyed fixing someone up with an album that they ended up loving, and especially if I pimped a record that eventually ended up being a huge seller. As a customer, I took advantage of that kind of thing before, and many years after I had that job.

I will definitely check that stuff out Scott!

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:07 pm

It seems so strange, but there was actually a time when I found out about Kid Koala's first album via a MuchMusic spotlight (not the full-fledged "Spotlight," just a smaller piece). My cousin and I were watching, and there was just something about "Fender Bender" that struck this funny little chord with us.

Even a few years ago, I somehow had no idea that Morrissey was working on a new album, so it was an incredible surprise to walk into HMV and see "Years of Refusal" staring me in the face.

I once had a radio show at the campus radio station, and would also review CDs that came in that were electronic in nature, so I was 'cutting edge' for a short, short time. The last 'new' bands I got into 'recently' (the last few years, I mean) were The National, Silversun Pickups, Tegan and Sara, Blue October, and They Might Be Giants (yes, a 30-year-old-band). Silversun Pickups were played on an alternative radio station I was getting a free preview of; I liked what I heard, so I memorized a handful of lyrics so I could look them up later. Blue October were played on Top 40 radio everywhere, but for some reason I didn't give them a chance until my wife said the vocalist reminded her of Nash the Slash; that made it 'ok' to like them in my mind, so I got into an album or two pretty heavy. I was always semi-curious about Tegan and Sara, but there was some kind of buzz about their new album (Heartthrob) coming out, so I picked it up and really enjoyed it. I think I saw a video by The National on MuchMusic in 2008, but didn't get into them until I found a vinyl copy of "Boxer" at SecondSpin. I'd known about They Might Be Giants forever, but never bought an album until I saw a vinyl copy of their latest for $10 at the same place ("Join Us," at the time). I hated it on first listen, gave them a chance, and they're like my new favourite band now.

There's also a Japanese shoegaze/noise band called "Taffy" that I want to check out more of; a Cure website I follow posted a link to their cover of "Boys Don't Cry," and I thought it was really cool.

I finally got curious about Metric when I enjoyed their songs in the Scott Pilgrim movie, but didn't buy an album until HMV gave away bonus PurePoints for getting "Synthetica."

Oh, and metal band Electric Wizard I got into when I was doing research into what Boss fuzz pedal would be best for me; in my research, the FZ-2 was touted as "The Electric Wizard pedal," one thing led to another, and I became a fan.

So, short answer: I am exposed to new music completely randomly.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Return to Music and Musicians