Help me make a drum kit!

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Re: Help me make a drum kit!

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:38 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I think I would get tired of the more exotic looks. Of the two pics, I rather like the "Broken Glass" finish.

I think I would too. The novelty value would wear off...

So I priced both kits out with snare drum: $4820 for the finish ply and $7610 for the exotic finish. Well, that settles that.

The next (and maybe last question) is there really an inherent sonic detriment to going with a "finish ply" which is basically a wrap? I don't think that there is a difference that I would care about since there are no lacquer finishes that I would like as much. Plus the Broken Glass finish would hide scrapes and scuffs pretty well.

Thoughts Malcolm/Andrew?

I already know Alain's thoughts: Satin Finish with everything as black as Satan's asshole for the purest and darkest of tones.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:25 pm

Wraps are fine when done the way that DW would be doing them. My understanding is that they essentially become part of the shell, as opposed to just tacked on like in the old days. I imagine most of the more "name" brands are the same with the high end drums.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:03 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Wraps are fine when done the way that DW would be doing them. My understanding is that they essentially become part of the shell, as opposed to just tacked on like in the old days. I imagine most of the more "name" brands are the same with the high end drums.

That just about settles it then.

Thoughts on 13" deep "floor tom" vs. 14" deep in a 16" diameter?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:31 pm

My thought would be 14" depth because I imagine it would give you a bit more flexibility. This is coming from me knowing nothing about drum makeup and just making logical assumptions so Malcolm could speak to it more knowledgably. How big a difference does the ratio of diameter to depth make, as opposed to just the actual dimensions?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:09 pm

macrae11 wrote:My thought would be 14" depth because I imagine it would give you a bit more flexibility. This is coming from me knowing nothing about drum makeup and just making logical assumptions so Malcolm could speak to it more knowledgably. How big a difference does the ratio of diameter to depth make, as opposed to just the actual dimensions?

I had a 16" floor tom with 13" depth and it was plenty "boom-y" so I don't think it will matter in that sense. 13" is smaller so cheaper, and less weight to hang off a suspension mount. I was originally thinking 14" deep if I was getting floor tom legs... but I guess it's a bit arbitrary unless Malcolm tells me otherwise.

Also...as soon as I get this kit we are having a recording party at Andrew's... :twisted:

EDIT: How do Octobans work? They are what...6" diameter and like 20" deep? Just curious about the ratio now that Andrew mentions it...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:09 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:Thoughts on 13" deep "floor tom" vs. 14" deep in a 16" diameter?
Floor tom, or "floor tom"?

The most substantial element that the depth of the drum contributes to me is the speed at which the drum "speaks" its fundamental tone. As a generalization, I always found "power" sizes for toms and bass drum to be too slow for my taste.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:49 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
Mathieu Benoit wrote:Thoughts on 13" deep "floor tom" vs. 14" deep in a 16" diameter?

The most substantial element that the depth of the drum contributes to me is the speed at which the drum "speaks" its fundamental tone. As a generalization, I always found "power" sizes for toms and bass drum to be too slow for my taste.

Basically big rack tom. I ain't got time for slow drums, so 13" deep it is. Thanks Malcolm!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:48 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:

Basically big rack tom. I ain't got time for slow drums, so 13" deep it is. Thanks Malcolm!
"Floor tom" it is... ;-) 13"x16" will sound great, and be slightly lighter weight wise. Win-win in my book!

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:04 pm

I am placing my order tomorrow.

Still a little unsure of whether I want floor tom legs or a suspension system for the 16" drum. Is that more or less arbitrary? If so I think I'll go with the suspended version.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Deposit is down, and kit is ordered. :-o

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:15 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:I am placing my order tomorrow.

Still a little unsure of whether I want floor tom legs or a suspension system for the 16" drum. Is that more or less arbitrary? If so I think I'll go with the suspended version.
There are advantages and disadvantages with both IMO. I like actual floor toms for 14-16, but the depths can be more limited selection wise.

Mathieu Benoit wrote:Deposit is down, and kit is ordered. :-o
Sweet! You will have to keep the updates coming...

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:48 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
Mathieu Benoit wrote:I am placing my order tomorrow.

There are advantages and disadvantages with both IMO. I like actual floor toms for 14-16, but the depths can be more limited selection wise.

Mathieu Benoit wrote:Deposit is down, and kit is ordered. :-o
Sweet! You will have to keep the updates coming...

I ended up going with a suspended 16" tom, BTW. Not for any sonic reasons, just because of the setup convenience.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:40 am

4 weeks down.... 4-8 more weeks to go!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:30 pm

Gonna be tight for Oct 30th. Fingers crossed.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:52 am

macrae11 wrote:Gonna be tight for Oct 30th. Fingers crossed.

if not then I'm gonna have to book my own session up there I guess. I'm not taking them out of the boxes until I get to Outreach with them.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:27 am

Kit is already built. Should arrive either Friday, or this coming Monday.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:24 pm

The kick drum exceeds expectations. Which is impressive considering that those expectations were fairly high to begin with. I'm really happy with my decision to stick with a 16" depth.

Snare drum is great. I finally have a great workhorse maple snare drum. I plan on adding a 14" x 6" brass down the road as well if I sell my 14 x 7 brass with my Yamaha kit.

Toms are really going to be a game changer for me. So punchy and low and warm and all the things I've always wanted.

All the hardware has been recently updated so that's always nice. The tension rods have threads so small you can barely even see them without a magnifying glass.

They messed up the drum heads I requested but that's not a huge deal. L&M will handle swapping the kick drum resonant head to a white one which is all I really need. All the batter heads are smooth white 2-ply, and the resonant heads are clear 1-ply. Kick drum resonant head is black.

More observations to follow including pictures.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...