Guitars are gear too!

---The Thom Chandler Memorial Forum
Archived for your use & enjoyment.

Postby oddioguy » Tue May 29, 2007 9:49 am

Jef wrote:no... I mean why on an Ovation (plastic) guitar? Would it make that much of a difference when the acoustic tone of the instrument isn't all that important. From my experience with those type of instruments, they don't sound all that good when unplugged. All their tone comes from being plugged in. Wouldn't it stand to reason that to improve on the tone of it, you would look into the electronics end of it?

It's true...alot of the sound of this guitar comes from the preamp. Having said that, I use it unplugged more than plugged, so the top will have an impact on the way I use it.
Sensitivity is another issue. Solid spruce tops respond so much better to subtleties like fingerpicking, and tend to be more balanced in thier response. Of course this translates whether plugged in or not.
I also think the overall tone when plugged in will improve dramaticly, and think the difference is going to be worth it.
Since you've raised a good point, before I start I'll make a reference recording...both plugged in, and mic'd...for a before/after comparison.
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Jef » Tue May 29, 2007 10:52 am

oddioguy wrote: ...I use it unplugged more than plugged...

So.... why not get a good sounding acoustic guitar to begin with? Even my old Yamaha beater has a better acoustic tone than any Ovation I've ever heard (unplugged). Ovations are meant to be plugged in. They all sound way too thin acoustically and I don't think, even with a solid spruce top, that you can get away from the 'plastic' sound.
Anyway, if you are going to go through the time and effort of changing the top, definitely do a before and after recording for comparison. I would really like to hear if it will be a noticeable difference.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue May 29, 2007 11:05 am

Once I was mixing a band, known in this region, in a larger live situation. The guitarist was playing an Ovation and requested that it be miced as well as run direct. Not only that but requested an SM57 be used, and shunned the suggestion of a good condenser.

After screwing around for many minutes, trying to get the mic to work in monitors for him... he explained that it was mostly for him... he says that he's trying to get a more "wooden" tone...

I managed to keep it to my inside voice saying... "Maybe you should have brought a wooden guitar with you..." :roll:
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby oddioguy » Tue May 29, 2007 12:11 pm

Jef wrote:
oddioguy wrote: ...I use it unplugged more than plugged...

So.... why not get a good sounding acoustic guitar to begin with? Even my old Yamaha beater has a better acoustic tone than any Ovation I've ever heard (unplugged). Ovations are meant to be plugged in. They all sound way too thin acoustically and I don't think, even with a solid spruce top, that you can get away from the 'plastic' sound.
Anyway, if you are going to go through the time and effort of changing the top, definitely do a before and after recording for comparison. I would really like to hear if it will be a noticeable difference.

I agree that a "real" acoustic would provide instant gratification, and I may wind up going that way...but I have the Ovation now, and for all the acoustic that I play....I'm willing to gamble.
I don't expect this to end up being a Taylor or Martin, just better than it is now. I hope "significantly" better...
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby oddioguy » Tue May 29, 2007 12:15 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Once I was mixing a band, known in this region, in a larger live situation. The guitarist was playing an Ovation and requested that it be miced as well as run direct. Not only that but requested an SM57 be used, and shunned the suggestion of a good condenser.

After screwing around for many minutes, trying to get the mic to work in monitors for him... he explained that it was mostly for him... he says that he's trying to get a more "wooden" tone...

I managed to keep it to my inside voice saying... "Maybe you should have brought a wooden guitar with you..." :roll:

You should have said it. How else will they learn?
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby macrae11 » Tue May 29, 2007 2:54 pm

There are two or three Ovations I have heard that actually sound like a real guitar. They are much more expensive than your standard Ovation. ($2000-$3000) They have a solid spruce top and a much deeper bowl than the inexpensive guys. I still wouldn't buy one over a Taylor or Larrivee of the same price, but it was a very nice sounding guitar.

I also find even cheap Taylors sound better plugged in than ovations.
YMMV
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby oddioguy » Tue May 29, 2007 3:26 pm

macrae11 wrote:There are two or three Ovations I have heard that actually sound like a real guitar. They are much more expensive than your standard Ovation. ($2000-$3000) They have a solid spruce top and a much deeper bowl than the inexpensive guys. I still wouldn't buy one over a Taylor or Larrivee of the same price, but it was a very nice sounding guitar.

I also find even cheap Taylors sound better plugged in than ovations.
YMMV

Adamas perhaps? Solid spruce tops and if memory serves me, carbon fiber bodies.
I would tend to think that the bowl depth would contribute to volume/projection, but may add to "depth" of sound as well. I still think the biggest change will be effected by the replacement of the plywood top.
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby macrae11 » Tue May 29, 2007 4:33 pm

No they were Ovations. The one at the top of this link was one of them.

http://ovationguitars.com/?fa=newsletters
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby stosostu » Tue May 29, 2007 8:28 pm

I have an Ovation Josh White acoustic, model 1624 IIRC, from 1980. IMHO it sounds great both acoustically and amplified, but then it is a nylon strung guitar, so that may be the difference.
The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
stosostu

Postby oddioguy » Tue May 29, 2007 10:11 pm

stosostu wrote:I have an Ovation Josh White acoustic, model 1624 IIRC, from 1980. IMHO it sounds great both acoustically and amplified, but then it is a nylon strung guitar, so that may be the difference.

Solid spruce top?
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Redeye Mojo » Wed May 30, 2007 12:34 am

I purchased a sweet tobacco sunburst Ovation Balladeer Custom, some years ago in Halifax.
Beautiful looking instrument, with both a solid Sitka Spruce top, and a deep bowl...
I got an incredible deal on the guitar. With flight case, in near mint condition for $400. No it wasn't hot.
I took it to Musicstop in HFX to have it appraised, got the paperwork, and summarily parted with it for a tidy profit.
Long story short, I can't stand the damn things... Granted, the deep bowl models are better, but...
In defense of the Ovation line, one of my favorite Jazz Musicians, Al DiMeola, has been playing them for years.

You're a patient man oddioguy. I respect that.

Put your patience to the test, and replace the back as well... :-P
Redeye Mojo

Postby stosostu » Wed May 30, 2007 12:45 am

Solid spruce top?[

Yep, and a deep bowl and wide classical style board. Nylon strings, designed for finger picking.[/quote]
The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
stosostu

Postby oddioguy » Wed May 30, 2007 5:22 am

Redeye Mojo wrote:I purchased a sweet tobacco sunburst Ovation Balladeer Custom, some years ago in Halifax.
Beautiful looking instrument, with both a solid Sitka Spruce top, and a deep bowl...
I got an incredible deal on the guitar. With flight case, in near mint condition for $400. No it wasn't hot.
I took it to Musicstop in HFX to have it appraised, got the paperwork, and summarily parted with it for a tidy profit.
Long story short, I can't stand the damn things... Granted, the deep bowl models are better, but...
In defense of the Ovation line, one of my favorite Jazz Musicians, Al DiMeola, has been playing them for years.

You're a patient man oddioguy. I respect that.

Put your patience to the test, and replace the back as well... :-P

So the general consensus seems to be....
Replace the top with real wood.
Replace the back with real wood.
Replace the sides with real wood.

Looks like y'all want me to build an acoustic from the ground up. :lol:
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby oddioguy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:18 pm

I'm also hoping (fuckin' optimist, ain't I? :lol: ) that the new top may help correct a dead spot on the low "E" string, around the 7th fret.
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby oddioguy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:12 pm

Well I've got some NOS content that I will start adding to this thread....some old repair oriented articles from the '80s. Although I had been working on instruments for a few years by the time I read these articles, they provided insight and ideas that I hadn't necessarily thought of.

All credit to the original author(s)...

...please standby....
Last edited by oddioguy on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby oddioguy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:04 pm

From Guitar Player, February 1988...
Last edited by oddioguy on Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby oddioguy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:08 pm

March 1985.
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby oddioguy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:47 am

oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby oddioguy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:48 am

oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby oddioguy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:56 am

Just found the predecessor to the previous article...

oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby oddioguy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:15 pm

Bump.
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Greg H. » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:21 pm

Thanks for the string buzz post! i think it'll help me in the future
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.