Who are you? (who who) And what do you do?

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:08 am

Drumwaiter wrote:It's not our choice and there's nothing can be done about it...although we make do rather well albeit. It's a DJ P.A. system.... it was never really placed with the intention of having live bands in there.
I have played a ton of gigs with setups like this. Speakers mounted on or near the wall, with the band setup on the dance floor.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:12 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:It's not our choice and there's nothing can be done about it...although we make do rather well albeit. It's a DJ P.A. system.... it was never really placed with the intention of having live bands in there.
I have played a ton of gigs with setups like this. Speakers mounted on or near the wall, with the band setup on the dance floor.
So there you go. It works, we've learn to make the best of it.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby jammy jamz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:21 am

blessed are the adaptable.

8-)
jammy jamz
Bronze Member

Postby roachie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:23 pm

It's a nightclub... most of'em are. I've been to shows with "stages" and "sound gear" that have sounded much worse than our little setup. There... my horn has tooted itself. Wait, I should say that different... It blew itself. Wait...
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby jammy jamz » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:17 pm

im still looking forward to this gig.

:-D
jammy jamz
Bronze Member

Postby Greg H. » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:55 pm

Greetings, my name is Greg, obviously! I currently play rythm guitar and keyboard in a band with Nick, except i end up playing bass about 100% of the time when luke doesnt show up! yay! I own an American Fender Strat >:) which i bought about a year ago, a stupid yamaha notworthmentioning crappy keyboard, and an epiphone thunderbird bass
I love doing live shows. That is me.
I also wish i worked somewhere musical, because my job sucks. :)
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:10 pm

Welcome!

Greg H. wrote:...except i end up playing bass about 100% of the time when luke doesnt show up!
Why don't you just play bass then? I mean, if the other guy isn't interested... You'd make more money as a trio too.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Greg H. » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:15 pm

I would like to, but then comes the issue of us firing him without haveing the whole drama thing *rolls eyes*
Make Awkward Sexual Advances, Not War.
Greg H.
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:24 pm

Greg H. wrote:I would like to, but then comes the issue of us firing him without haveing the whole drama thing *rolls eyes*

In that case you guys are only going to get as good as your weakest link.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Nick H. » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:In that case you guys are only going to get as good as your weakest link.

That is so sad considering just how weak said link is...
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:54 pm

Nick H. wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:In that case you guys are only going to get as good as your weakest link.

That is so sad considering just how weak said link is...

:shock:

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Beaver » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:00 pm

I may as while chime in here since I have been registered for years as a lurker more then a poster. My name is Steve, I currently work for CGS Canada and do Audio and Video recording and edits for our online course ware and virtual events. Malcolm and Scott have helped me out in the past when things got really busy, and Roachie has been in to see the kind of set up we have here.

Nothing too fancy but it gets the job done. 3 Presonus fireboxes, 3 JK Audio InLine Phone Patches and a small room set up as a sound booth.

We do some green screen work here for video which I am still trying to master (Thank god for the undo button during processing), and in recent months have really shifted our focus to a global market with our events platform.

http://www.cgsinc.com/solutions/virtualevents365.html
can check out the free demo video here of what we actually do. just fill in junk in the fields it doesn't track anything or send you any kind of e-mail confirmation.

I am a drummer, piano player, and have been trying to teach myself guitar for the last 2 years. Other then that, I am glad to have you guys here to learn from and ask questions. Even though I have not posted much in the past, I have gathered quite a bit of great info from this site.
Beaver

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:31 pm

Awesome avatar Steve!

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby humeurs » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:45 pm

Chris Fudge,

I live in Hampton, wife and two kids. I have loft that me and my friends record in despite the constraints and envy's Sam for his very own home microbrew.

I enjoy all styles O' Music. Despite being a bit of a recording enthusiast, I don't care that much about how well it's recorded, so long as it's honest.
(not to say I don't like a WELL recorded honest piece of music!)

What else? Hrmm, I lurk more than post. Sorry about that. I'll try to contribute. I just end up sounding stipuddud sometimes.

yes. that.
humeurs

Postby roachie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:31 pm

CristopherF, it's been a long time. Good to see ya on the WW.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby humeurs » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:42 am

roachie wrote:CristopherF, it's been a long time. Good to see ya on the WW.

Monsieur Le Roach! I don't understand why we don't run into each other more often! oh, prolly work, fam and life. :-D

Good to see you!
humeurs

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:12 pm

My first post.

My name is Ian M. Sherwood, but call me Ian --- (the "M" is important because there is another singer from the Maritimes named Ian Sherwood). I met Malcolm when I participated in this year's sound workshop at Imperial Theatre.

I have been playing music for approximately 14 years (I'm self-taught). My main instrument is bass guitar but I have recently bought an electric guitar and am learning to make many mistakes on it.

Between 2004 and 2008 I lived in Halifax and toured Canada with a band called Down With The Butterfly. We received an ECMA award nomination and played at a lot of festivals, but inner turmoil forced the band to split up.

Since then I have moved back to my hometown in New Brunswick where I am currently holed up in my family's 130 year old homestead/farmhouse, while trying to save up some money by being a substitute teacher. I have transformed one of the rooms in this place for my rehearsal room and I have low-budget gear for recording home demos of songs I write.

I am also currently the go-to bass player for a folk-rock duo in Halifax whenever they have a gig that requires a full-band. But those gigs have been few and far between. I have been getting antsy out here in the country, isolated form creative musicians and would enjoy getting out and meeting some of the musicians located here in new Brunswick, but need that initial push to get things started,

Ideally I would like to eventually play some solo shows and perhaps meet the right people to have a band. Plus, since I am a bass player, it would be nice to meet some singer/songwriters who might like the occasional bass accompaniment. I feel like I'm rambling. I'm getting hungry and supper smells like it's ready, so I'll end with:

Hello everyone and maybe we'll have a chance to meet each other in person some day.

Here are some links for anyone interested:
www.myspace.com/outspokeninvoice
www.myspace.com/acresandacres
www.myspace.com/downwiththebutterfly
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:22 am

Very cool, welcome aboard Ian.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

My introduction here!

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:48 am

Hey, everybody! My name's Christian, and this here's my first post on these forums.

My musical background: I've been playing music off and on for 14-15 years, but you sure wouldn't know it to hear me play :) I started on guitar (my worst instrument - unless you count vocals!), moved on to bass (my best instrument), and somehow got into synths and sequencers (my most used instruments). I can also handle the third highest difficulty on the drums in RockBand, which means I was passable the first time I tried a real kit :P

I tried 'making it' in a band by moving to Calgary in 2000 to play bass with some friends, but we never got out of the basement. At least I can say I tried at some point (hoping that's enough to stave off the mid-life crazies!).

My (now) wife and I played around Saint John as synth-pop duo Kitty Smack from late 2002 to early 2004; our album only ever really got worked on over Christmas breaks, so we called it done in 2007: http://www.garageband.com/artist/kitty_smack
We have enough material for another album which we'll get to sometime, but no plans on playing live for now.

Ever since 2004, there's been things taking my time away from music, so at the end of 2008, I decided enough was enough, and started a 52 songs in 52 weeks project. I just posted #44 Friday night.
http://52weeksproject.blogspot.com/

The whole point of the project is for 'musical rehabilitation,' to get my 'chops' back up to speed, and to become a better player and writer. Also, just making music again feels incredible, and I love having an excuse each week to just jam on something brand new.

I also joined industrial/punk/whatever band Halo as a synth player a few months back, playing my first show with them in Fredericton two weeks after I did. I'm liking Halo a bunch :) And I really like the feeling of being in a band again.
http://www.myspace.com/halosaintjohn

I emailed Malcolm a few days ago to ask for some criticism on some of my '52' songs, and he reminded me about this here forum. So that's why I'm here - to ask for any help/criticism/feedback/advice on any of my songs. Most of them are left intentionally short, just so I don't knock myself out each week. The last batch (40-44) have been more ambitious than earlier, as I'm getting more serious about using my guitar and synths together. As a result, things can get a bit muddy at times. Any observations are welcome, of course (despite a few regular commenters I have, I'm getting so attention starved that even a 'sorry, i don't like techno' comment would be welcome at this point - and no, I generally don't write techno). There's a few real clunkers, but a few show promise, as well. My goal from feedback is just to learn my lessons each time, but not really go about re-recording or tweaking anything after the fact until at least the project is done.

So, in conclusion: thanks to Malcolm for reminding me about the forum here, and I hope to hear from some of you!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:23 pm

Happy to hear from some new folks joining in here. Welcome.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:26 pm

Hey guys, I've been away for a bit over the past week, so sorry about things being a bit slow, usually we have up to 3 posts a day! :shock:

Anyways... I'm back now, and I welcome you. This is Malcolm's house of course, but I'm keep the pipes from freezing in the winter.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby zmd » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:49 pm

my first post...seems fitting to slide it in here

i'm dan chamberlain, i sell gear at long & mcquade and am in a couple of local bands, halo (hi christian!) and penny blacks.

i'm a synth guy and...stuff!

hi!
zmd

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:53 pm

Yay! Dan!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:01 pm

Dan!!!
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby zmd » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:21 am

hahah, hi guys!
zmd