Saint John Idol 2009

Musical artists and their stuff...
---Hosted by Scott DeVarenne & Matt Benoit

Saint John Idol 2009

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:30 am

"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:38 am

By the time I left at 9:45pm I had witnessed maybe 5 or 6 contestants out of almost 80 that could actually sing. I hope that the last 50 contestants yielded a higher percentage of talent. There was about 120 contestants and a little birdie told me that all said and done about 10 of them can sing.

The country one will be different though. It's only 40 contestants, but the amount of talent in that one is much higer, usually.

I don't know... Where are the friend and family at? I'm just thinking, for example: I can't really sing so if I was going to enter that contest I'd expect my family and friends to stop me and say " Matt, you're high. Sit down before you make an ass of yourself." Who the hell told some of these people that any good could come of this?

I'm glad I don't judge these things, I'd have a hit put out on me.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:19 pm

Most people have an aversion to telling other people that they suck, even in a nice way. They don't want to hurt feelings. Luckily Matt, you and I don't suffer from such inhibitions because we understand that it would be a far crueler fate to let them embarrass themselves.

There are also those who don't care that they suck, and just suffer from some form of rare exibitionism. I just hope that it doesn't turn into a popularity contest and one of the good ones make it through.

I think country artists don't have the same aversion to "kareoke" contests. They don't feel that it's "below" them. I say screw it. If I could sing, and had a chance to win 10 large, I'd be up there in a heart beat. I'd even wear a feather boa. I think it was Jerry Garcia who was quoted when, asked what he would do if he had the opportunity to sell out, "We've been trying to sell out for years, nobodies buying!"
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:26 pm

By the way, was one of the good singers, a really big guy?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:56 pm

macrae11 wrote:By the way, was one of the good singers, a really big guy?

Yeah , Mike Biggar. He's Laura's husband, and he's quite good. As is she, she should've singed up too. You know them?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:05 pm

macrae11 wrote:Most people have an aversion to telling other people that they suck, even in a nice way. They don't want to hurt feelings. Luckily Matt, you and I don't suffer from such inhibitions because we understand that it would be a far crueler fate to let them embarrass themselves.

I just don't want to get car-bombed by stage mothers who take this shit too seriously.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:25 pm

As expected the Country contest was a horse of a different color. I'd say 70% of them can actually sing, as opposed to 6% in the Saint John Idol night.

Some really serious talent in this group.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:57 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
macrae11 wrote:By the way, was one of the good singers, a really big guy?

Yeah , Mike Biggar. He's Laura's husband, and he's quite good. As is she, she should've singed up too. You know them?

Yeah I used to do sound for them all the time when I lived in Saint John. I haven't talked to them in a couple of years, but he's a riot.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:59 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:I just don't want to get car-bombed by stage mothers who take this shit too seriously.
dielaugh

Drumwaiter wrote:As expected the Country contest was a horse of a different color. I'd say 70% of them can actually sing, as opposed to 6% in the Saint John Idol night.

Some really serious talent in this group.
Why do you suppose you're hearing/seeing such a difference between the two different groups?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:06 am

Couple of reasons maybe...

First of all they take their country music very seriously. Not everyone is going to want to get up and do a country competition. So really all you are left with is a handful of really good performers who are serious about it.

Other than that... I couldn't tell ya.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:07 am

I just realized why they are better Malcolm. I saw most of the performances last night. When each contestant was announced, the emcee would give a quick background of the contestant. They all sang in church! This solves the mystery. They have experience singing in front of people. They all sang in church, and in family functions. Country = Christian, and I totally forgot.

There's your answer fishbulb.

I have already picked my 3 favorites for the Country competition. I just found out that one of them is also a gifted songwritter (gifted enough that I'd use the singer's originals in lieu of a song from the publishing library that we were planning on using.)

The SJ Idol competition... I dunno. I have a top 4ish picked. But only because I have to pick from this group. One I can totally work with. Another I don't know yet, but I bet I could give the exact same song I'd give to the first one and they'd both do pretty well. It's my impression that one of these two will at least be in the finals and once I'm pretty sure of that I'll already start penning the song. If they both end up in the fianls they'll both get the same song. I'd love it because it's half the work.

The other two that I have in mind could do well, I just don't know if they're gonna win based on voting and such.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:21 pm

I was backstage for a bit Wed night and one thing I noticed about most of the contestants was that they were big time nervous. Not excited nervous... scared to death nervous. This does not lend itself to good singing, and could make a reasonably talented vocalist sound absolutely lame-o.

I bet several of the performers would fare better in a controlled environment.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:24 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I bet several of the performers would fare better in a controlled environment.

That's obvious. But it wouldn't be enough to make them singers. You should have seen what was there the week prior...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:40 pm

Drumwaiter wrote: You should have seen what was there the week prior...
I pride myself in not having viewed more than a few minutes of "Saint John Idol" over the years. I especially couldn't sit through the early stages as you suggest.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:09 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I especially couldn't sit through the early stages as you suggest.

Shelley and Nicole are troopers.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:06 am

Bobbi Lee has convinced me to be a guest judge on July 22nd. God help us all...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:55 am

Try to be at least a little bit nice Matt. Although the worst of the worst should be gone by then.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:07 pm

macrae11 wrote:Try to be at least a little bit nice Matt. Although the worst of the worst should be gone by then.

I hope so, there were some epically brutal performances this year.

I'll be a good ambassador for FAG. However, I'm not letting ANYTHING slide. You wanna compete for 10,000 dollars to sing some karaoke, you better have it together. I'll offer clear suggestions too, that way they know what they can do to improve on their weaknesses. I won't be an ass for the sake of being an ass. However, I won't be nice for the sake of being nice either.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:42 pm

Last night had a couple of pretty good performance, and one excellent performance.

I got the list of the "Bottom 3" (which will be announced tomorrow) and I wasn't suprised I guess... but maybe a bit dissapointed.

That all being said, contestants need to run a tight campaign if they are going to come out on top. It's not really vocal ability that's going to win this. It's how well can you market yourself and get the votes.

It's anyones guess (without knowing what the number of votes looked like from last night) who'd gonna take this because every contestant has their strengths/weaknesses but more importantly because this will boil down to a popularity contest. Unfortunately.... However, if a talented person is popular too, I could go with that.... ;-)

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:57 pm

You should need to get a licence to vote for these things. Ugh...I'll explain when the results are made public.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:02 pm

You have some pull don't you Matt? Can't you skew the voting somehow? I mean if they can do it in Iran.....
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:10 pm

macrae11 wrote:You have some pull don't you Matt? Can't you skew the voting somehow? I mean if they can do it in Iran.....

I wish.

It's just that there are some ridiculously talented people in Country Idol and some popular ones... That's all I'll say.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:52 pm

dielaugh

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:08 pm

Glad you approve. I can't be biased, so it seemed fitting.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:18 am

Tonight's the night I am a guest judge for Saint John Idol. I received texts and facebook messages from people asking how mean I'm gonna be.

So long as people bring everything they got, there shouldn't be a problem. It's really up to the contestants to make me say good things, isn't it?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Next

Return to Music and Musicians